News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**BEWARE OF SOUTHERN MOTORS** 68 charger 440 six pack

Started by GTSilver, July 09, 2016, 04:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Take your time - you will find something.
Live by these words......

If you want something really bad..............that is exactly what you'll get.

ht4spd307

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 14, 2016, 07:34:38 AM
Take your time - you will find something.
Live by these words......

If you want something really bad..............that is exactly what you'll get.
wise words :2thumbs:

G-man

Pretty sure you can get your deposit back if you really wanted to.

The contract or whatever was that it is non refundable deposit for the car advertised no bondo etc.

Since the deposit was made for a bondo free vehicle... he broke the contract as you never got what you put a deposit on.

You deposited for a bondo free vehicle, where is the vehicle? It doesn't exist therefor it has to be refunded or reported as fraud.

Should'nt be too hard getting it back. Just make the dealer know it will be a lot cheaper and easier for him to refund it.

Dino

Hi Yousif, welcome to the forum!   :cheers:

A few things I want to add. I restored cars for over 15 years in a previous life and let me tell you that when someone claims to have a fully restored car, you don't necessarily need to run but you have to assume that everything you will hear out of the seller's mouth is complete bs. You do this just so you can be aware that you are looking for the clues to confirm these suspicions instead of trying to look for a reason to buy your dream car. The last thing you want is to pay a huge chunk of change for a car that will need lots more to be what you want. If you can't find anything wrong with the car then great! But it means that a good 6 figure amount has been invested in the car so what are the odds to find a perfect specimen for half that?

The red car is an absolute nightmare. It looks shiny and has nice new seat covers and everything but that's where it ends. That car is not restored, it still needs to be restored. If you would strip the paint I guarantee you will find tons of bondo and lots of metal that needs replacing. You'll also end up replacing a lot of trim and mechanical parts because these dealers only fix them up enough so they shine and can move off the lot which is where their warranty ends.

I know it's hard to find a good car but the last place you want to be looking is at a dealer. Place an ad on this forum in the wanted section and explain exactly what you want. Eventually someone will get in touch with you and you'll have the car you want.

Getting one off ebay and such is near impossible, they are gone within a day when it's a good deal. Unless you live 5 miles away it's never going to be easy to get one so dealing with a seller directly who does not have the car advertised is the way to go.

You will likely also need to be a bit flexible with what you want. It may not have come from the factory with a manual trans so you may need to do the swap yourself. Or the car may be a very nice driver but need a bit of work here and there. Remember these cars were rusting before they left the showroom floor so finding one that is mint is damn hard!

Personally I'm just happy to find a car that has not been molested. One that hasn't been tinkered with too much and is for the most part original. I'll take a rusty trunk floor and a few rust spots here and there. It's not that hard to repair and at least you have a fully functional car that you can enjoy while you tinker with it. IF that's what you want that is. My car doesn't have the best paint job in the world but I kinda like it because I can drive it and park it wherever I want and I don't need to worry too much about it.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: G-man on July 14, 2016, 07:17:41 PM
Pretty sure you can get your deposit back if you really wanted to.

The contract or whatever was that it is non refundable deposit for the car advertised no bondo etc.

Since the deposit was made for a bondo free vehicle... he broke the contract as you never got what you put a deposit on.

You deposited for a bondo free vehicle, where is the vehicle? It doesn't exist therefor it has to be refunded or reported as fraud.

Should'nt be too hard getting it back. Just make the dealer know it will be a lot cheaper and easier for him to refund it.

If I remember right the guy that owns or runs this place used to be a cop, he knows what he can get away with, knowing the potential customer is 5,000 miles away in England or Europe or UK or anywhere else overseas will make it difficult for them to do anything about a refund & he knows it, which is why he did it.  :slap:

GTSilver

Well I just got off the phone with the Southern Motors dealership and I spoke to David Witt the sales manager.

He had to say the same things that Leroy had mentioned last week that the inspector is full of shit and that he has a thing against them and that the car has no rust or bondo anywhere and I told him exactly where based on the inspection he still wouldn't accept it and wanted the number of the inspection company to give them a call. I gave it to him but told him regardless its not my issue and I want my refund back, he told me that he mentioned that his deposit is non refundable and that I agreed to that based on the fact that the car doesn't have any bondo or rust anywhere which isn't the fact thus the reason for the refund. He started shouting and calling names about the inspector and inspection company and its not his problem he wouldn't refund the money and what am I going to do about and that he missed a sale on the car for a higher price than what we agreed. I told him that I'll pursue this with my bank for a refund and try to work it out and also mention this is Mopar forums. His response is do whatever you want and hung up the phone.

So please be careful with dealing with Southern Motors with their bad and dishonest service.

polywideblock

you live and learn , I've had the same thing happen to me (I'm in Australia) .
funny how the "inspection company " is ALWAYS wrong and has a thing against the motor dealer isn't it  :rofl:
just learn from your mistake and don't throw good money after bad chasing your deposit
the cost of a "representative" from the us to "get things rolling " is ridiculous .just walk away  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

fizz

I think a bondo free car is VERY rare and if you have to ask how much you can't afford it.

hemi-hampton

That guy that bought my car sent a Inspector to look it over, Inspector said it was one of the most solid cars he ever seen. Buyer did not hesitate to buy after reading report, It was everything I said it was, 100% rustfree & bondo free, original paint, original 24,000 miles, unrestored original #'s Matching 1970 440 R/T Survivor. And only $29,000 K. I can tell you it was a much better deal then what your looking at. LEON.

Johnnymopar

Wow, thanks for this thread and the knowledge of how Southern Motors does business.  I'd looked at their ads online before but something always seemed off to me.  Too shiny, perfect, used-car dealership kind of vibe.  Now I won't even give their ads a second look.
I too am looking for a 2nd gen Charger (or might settle for a different Mopar down my list).  Good luck getting your deposit back, its rightfully yours. 

RJS

Dave Witt is the owner now that his father passed. Leroy is the main sales guy and a "Mopar Expert". NOT!!!!!   They are dealers and sometimes sell a decent car but think about this. How does a dealer that just bought a car to sell know there is NO BONDO on the car if he didn't personally restore it. These are all tactics in salesman 101.
Ron

G-man

Anyone in the area to go smash that heap of junk up? :icon_smile_angry:

chargerperson

Before I restored my car I called these guys and considered buying a 2nd generation Charger from them.  Think I spoke to Dave Witt.  Seemed nice/decent on the phone but suspect they all sound that way when they are in sales mode.

Thank you for the heads up.

ht4spd307

here you go maybe give him some hell bid on his car and cancel the sale after you win it this will cost them a few lost sales  :RantExplode: till he gives you a refund  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: dam whats wrong with me Ive got to stop speaking out aloud
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-Buckets-/262535599832?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d205756d8:g:7LcAAOSwsTxXj4Sj&item=262535599832

70 sublime

Quote from: ht4spd307 on July 21, 2016, 05:35:14 AM
here you go maybe give him some hell bid on his car and cancel the sale after you win it this will cost them a few lost sales  :RantExplode: till he gives you a refund  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: dam whats wrong with me Ive got to stop speaking out aloud
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-Buckets-/262535599832?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d205756d8:g:7LcAAOSwsTxXj4Sj&item=262535599832

At least they did not say bondo free  :icon_smile_big:

Documented Nut-N-Bolt Rotisserie Restoration, clean Virginia car, beautiful T5 light bronze Dupont Chromobase metallic paint, tan vinyl interior, white vinyl top, 383 ci engine, Holley 4 bbl, factory intake manifold, Crane camshaft & internals, 440 heads, factory exhaust manifolds, dual snorkel breather, power steering, power front disc brakes, Vintage air conditioning, 727 Torqueflite automatic transmission with 11" converter & shift kit, bucket seats with buddy seat, factory dash, factory tach & gauges, am-fm radio, new dual exhaust with chrome tips, 8 3/4 3.55 Sure Grip rear end, 255/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial TA tires, 15" Rally wheels, factory jack with spare, Show Quality!
This is one clean Mopar! The car runs & drives excellent and has a good solid body.  If you are looking for a great classic Mopar to take to your local shows and cruises, YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAR!

This vehicle is for sale at our dealership as well as nationally so if you have any questions we encourage you to contact us at 248-620-3355 (office) or 248-909-9452 (cell) because we do reserve the right to sell the vehicle at anytime.  There is also a video available of the vehicle please email me for the link. 

We have sold cars to all 50 states and 11 different countries so contact us with any of your shipping questions.  We also have great financing rates available.  Good Luck Bidding!
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

GTSilver

Thanks everyone again for saving me a lot of money and pm's that I have received in regards to the charger.

After speaking with David a couple of days back I wrote a review on google so other people could see it and beware as well and I got a reply back from him as well. However I got an email from him today stating that if I take off my review on google he will be happy to refund me back my deposit and he also took off his reply on google. Please see the attachments in the next posts.

lukedukem

Here is a review from Yelp!

You can spin this anyway you want, I had a laundry list of issues with this car from the minute I got it. Even the driver from Reliable Carriers could not shift the car. As a matter of fact, after the starter broke, he helped me push the car to my house. But I know Dave, I know....I'm "inexperienced".
And because of my "inexperience" of not being able to shift the car, I had to have it flat bedded to my mechanic.  However, it wasn't inexperience when a 30 year, highly accredited classic car mechanic who drag races as a hobby, couldn't drive the car either !
After a week in his shop, he found a blown clutch, cracks all over the fly wheel, 2nd gear in the 4 speed Muncie was done, the bushings, and pins in the linkage, and back-up rod were completely rigged. The timing in the motor was so far off, it would have caused major damage to the motor had I been able to drive it. The Vintage Air Southern Motors installed was wired completely backwards. And when I was finally able to drive the car, it must have been my "inexperience" that also made me turn the steering wheel to 10 o'clock just to make the car go straight.
It's all good Dave. You got me. I've not only fixed ALL the untold issues with the car when I bought it, but I've made a number of improvements to the car that I felt were warranted.
The car is now in excellent condition all around.
Nobody is expecting a perfect car, far from it. We all know, as you say, they're "40 years old". Even older in many cases.
But in my case, the '69 Chevelle I bought WAS misrepresented by you. And others who are thinking of buying a car from you should know of the potential nightmare that awaits.
As I said, I should've had the car thoroughly inspected. That's my fault. But you knew what I was buying and didn't disclose any of it. That's on you.
Like I said, no worries.
You said you sleep well at night, and that's good.
So do I.
Because social media can be a small, yet effective equalizer, and if posting my experience can possibly educate someone about doing business with Southern Motors.
Then my pillow will feel just as comfy as yours.

If you search southern motors reviews it's there. He's responds but it won't let me copy and paste it. But he tells the guy that if you buy a car from him be prepared to work on it. But he gives his side of the story and fixes the issues

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

charger_fan_4ever

I have to say the bronze 69 looks like a pretty decent car from the pics. miles better than the 68.

Homerr

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 21, 2016, 03:44:34 PM
I have to say the bronze 69 looks like a pretty decent car from the pics. miles better than the 68.

I agree, IMHO it's a great color combo.

Given the lack of glaring issues it must have been built by someone else.

Their website says $46,900 for it.  I bet they bought it finished for $15k less.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Homerr on July 21, 2016, 03:54:23 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 21, 2016, 03:44:34 PM

I agree, IMHO it's a great color combo.

Given the lack of glaring issues it must have been built by someone else.

Their website says $46,900 for it.  I bet they bought it finished for $15k less.

Thats what i figured must have came from a good shop. Are non r/t cars really bringing over 40k now for a nicely done car ? survivor museum quality cars aside of course.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 09, 2016, 04:54:42 PM
Looks like it has the one piece molded in rear valance. I know that Dealer. the car should be looked over in person by a knowledgeable Mopar Person as many dealers are known to sell Perfume on a Pig cars. LEON.

I had a bad experience here.  Cost me $10k to get my car correct from the "perfume on the pig" issue from this deceptive dealer!!!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

After reading this thread, I am really frustrated.    As some of you guys know, I have a 1968 Coronet RT Convertible.   I have not make this public before, because honestly I was very frustrated at myself for allowing myself get wrapped up into a car before looking at it in detail.   Well, I purchased my car from Southern Motors, and if it wasn't such a rare car, I would have sold it a long time ago.    I bought it over 10 years ago.

I saw the car on Ebay, and immediately was interested in it.  It was advertised almost the same as this Charger.   "Recently painted, no bondo", on and on and on.  I bought the car knowing that there was still stuff that was needed to be done to it, but I had no idea what I was going to get myself into.    When I purchased it, it needed a refresh in the interior, but "the exterior was recently restored".  

Shortly after I purchased the car, I had it up in the air, and really started to see some "questionable" things.    I keep looking at the rear quarter panel and how it didn't look right.    After pondering what to do, I got a DA sander out and this is what I found -

It's hard to see but you will see some rust fragments!

With this, I decided to strip the whole car - feast your eyes on a Southern Motors lipstick job!

RUST and BONDO -

1970Moparmann

Rocker -

Quarter panel with RUST/BONDO-

Passenger fender with a dent filled in with BONDO -

Driver fender with a dent with BONDO -