News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator options on a 73 Charger?

Started by WH23G3G, July 05, 2016, 09:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

My 73 Charger 400-4BBL has really been put on the back burner now that I've got my 99 Dakota R/T. I haven't tried to drive my 73 since last July. I've only started it up and run it for 10-15 mins about 3 times since December, today being one of them. Last time I had someone work on it they came over, played with the timing, tightened up the exhaust pipes to manifold, adjusted the mixture and we drove it around for about an hour with no problems. That was last July and it was about the same temp, 90-95 degrees outside. The temp gauge didn't get in the danger zone but the mechanic said he still didn't like where the gauge was. He's an old racing mechanic well known in the area. He had the car running the best it's ever run since I've had it for over 10 years now. It's got a Milodon high flow water pump, I'm not sure what thermostat as it was replaced by a shop, the big a/c 7 blade fan, and the toughest fan clutch I can find, 27.5 inch 2-row radiator, factory fan shroud, and even the factory air dam deflectors. The temp gauge tends to creep up when idling at a long stoplight which is very common in a crowded city. What are my options besides installing an electric fan? I talked to a 72 Charger owner with a big block and he said he runs a 4 core radiator and electric fan and has no cooling problems at all. I told him the stock replacement radiator I bought was only a 2 row and he told me I need to get a 3 or even a 4 row. My core support is set up for a 26" radiator that originally came with a 318 with factory a/c. How many cores were they? Do I need a 3 or 4 core and electric fan to avoid overheating? It doesn't matter what the timing is, it's going to get too hot anyway. It's been played with 3 or 4 times by different mechanics. Right now it's running the best it's run.

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002