News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The heat this year is making it rough on my old vehicles lately!!!!

Started by 69wannabe, July 03, 2016, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

The heat this year seems more intense than I have seen it in a few years and my poor old jeeps are feeling it. My 2000 grand with the 4.7 has been running around the 215 to 220 degree range in traffic lately. I rebuilt this engine last year and the high temp reading had me worried. The water pump, thermostat and temp sensor and fan relay are all new and the radiator had already been replaced when I bought the jeep and I also had it checked out and the local radiator guy said it was good so I was hoping the cooling system would be in good shape. It has been running at a good temp until this high 90's heat came along. I found a 180 degree thermostat on amazon so I swapped that in there and it seems to be some better. It is running about 195 to 205 now which is fine with me. I hope it continues to run at this temp, I figure if it starts getting too warm again I will swap in a new radiator since I am having second thoughts about re-using the one that was in at at this point. 

Friday evening the wife calls and says the 04 grand is running hot, well great but she said it wasn't bad hot just higher than normal so she came on home with it. The electric fan was working but seemed to be really noisy. Checked and the coolant level was low, the water pump was leaking so I called the o'reillys and they had a new fan assy and water pump in stock. Ran to town and got the fan, water pump and a new thermostat and ran back home to get it going. Got most of it on and my sister calls and her jeep is running hot.

She was at the dollar store about 5 mins away so in the middle job I ran to the store and filled it with some water and left the cap loose and drove it here to wait til the next morning to look into it. Got the 04 finished up and it has been fine since and the next morning got the 97 grand fixed with a new upper rad hose that got a small hole in it all of a sudden. Just my luck it seems!!

All this after pulling the tranny on a 97 dodge ram 1500 to replace a front pump seal and now it only has 1 st gear and reverse. Shouldn't have drained the fluid and filter I guess. Must have let the magic out. Owner gonna have it hauled to tranny shop to see what happened to it. Wish I knew what I did to cause it to fail!! 

Time for some couch sitting and tv time for a change!!!!

Lennard

redgum78

Opposite going on here been mid winter. Makes starting things a little tougher especially the diesels. Had to replace batteries in New Holland backhoe, Ford Ranger twin cab and Toyota Hilux single cab. Starter repairs on a 12t excavator and a project Leyland Moke.

69wannabe

Quote from: Lennard on July 04, 2016, 03:56:30 AM
Damn, you've been busy!
[/quote

That's not all, been working my regular job on top of all this other crap that landed in my lap. When it rains it pour's!!! Still got a chevy truck with oil pressure issues that I got to pull the engine out of. Guy supposed to come get his dodge truck to take to transmission shop so maybe I will find out what happened to that.

69wannabe

Quote from: redgum78 on July 04, 2016, 05:49:16 AM
Opposite going on here been mid winter. Makes starting things a little tougher especially the diesels. Had to replace batteries in New Holland backhoe, Ford Ranger twin cab and Toyota Hilux single cab. Starter repairs on a 12t excavator and a project Leyland Moke.

We sure could use some cold weather right about now!!! Looked out on the front porch and in the shade it was reading 101 earlier today.

redgum78

Quote from: 69wannabe on July 04, 2016, 04:00:49 PM

We sure could use some cold weather right about now!!! Looked out on the front porch and in the shade it was reading 101 earlier today.

That is mighty hot!

69wannabe

Had rain and clouds most of the day today thank goodness!! It was humid but cooler and we needed the rain very badly!! I took an extra day off for the forth weekend and had planned on driving the charger early this morning but it was pouring rain so me and Coco decided to go back to bed!! I did get the chevy truck moved onto the concrete pad to get the engine out maybe this weekend and get started on the engine.....

b5blue

Aw cool! Moke is a neat car!  :cheers: