News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flowmasters

Started by reworked, June 29, 2016, 08:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reworked

Drove my car on its maiden voyage last night...lots of bugs...
440 engine
But the Flow masters....ughhhh
so loud and drone.....gotta go, hated even touching the gas
I have a 2.5" mandrel bent xpipe system with supercomp headers and flow master 40's I believe 

Anybody else have same concerns?...........what other type mufflers are people using?

crj1968

Yeah I had flowmasters (40's?) in a Coronet once. Drove me crazy- I have a TTI system on my Charger with Dynomax Super Turbos...they are pretty good.

MoparMotel

I had Dynomax Super Turbo's on my 383 and they were too quiet for me. Had a set of original 40 series put on with an H pipe and they sound good but are pretty loud and the drone at 1800rpms is horrible, rattles the interior. I'm looking for something between the Turbo's and 40 series but haven't come across anything yet.
1968 Dodge Charger

Brass

Quote from: MoparMotel on June 29, 2016, 03:53:58 PM
I had Dynomax Super Turbo's on my 383 and they were too quiet for me. Had a set of original 40 series put on with an H pipe and they sound good but are pretty loud and the drone at 1800rpms is horrible, rattles the interior. I'm looking for something between the Turbo's and 40 series but haven't come across anything yet.

Have you checked out the Ultra Flo mufflers?  They're very popular on this board.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brass on June 29, 2016, 04:54:01 PM

Have you checked out the Ultra Flo mufflers?  They're very popular on this board.

What I run....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MoparMotel

I am considering Ultra Flo's or the Spintech 6000's. Put a Spintech on my 6.2L Silverado and has a very deep good sound.
1968 Dodge Charger

crj1968

I agree they are a little too quiet.

I had some dynomax's on my duster and they sounded awesome, but I'm not sure what model they were. Ultra flow maybe?  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

Here we go again. I will make it short and to the point. All mufflers drone. Dont care if its a glaas pack, chambered, or oval straight through. It will drone. Your engine and cam profile will determine what rpm it will drone at so do alot of research before choosing a muffler. If you think youve done enough, do more.
   To those who say ultraflos over flowmasters- the 2.25 ultraflos on my 07 charger had more drone then the 3 inch flowmasters on my 69. Its a package deal. Do your homework.
    40 series flowmasters will be loud. What the hell did you expect them to be???? If you want mellow yet aggressive in a chambered muffler design, then get a 3 chamber. In the flowmaster line this will equivalate to the 50 series or suv series. Doesnt have the "tin can" or "wood pulp truck" sound that many associate with the flowmaster line. Run them on my car for years with 0 performance loss compared to open header with track data proof.

johnnycharger

I love my flowmasters. They were on my car when I bought it in 98. Sounds great and...yes.... they are loud!  :icon_smile_big:

reworked

To all that replied helpfully thank you....to the one that replied with anger I would rather you didn't ....if a forum is to be around for many years I am sure questions and topics will get repeated many times.....if you feel frustrated to reply please dont

ACUDANUT

Kern Dog

Quote from: reworked on June 29, 2016, 08:51:36 AM
Drove my car on its maiden voyage last night...lots of bugs...
440 engine
But the Flow masters....ughhhh
so loud and drone.....gotta go, hated even touching the gas
I have a 2.5" mandrel bent xpipe system with supercomp headers and flow master 40's I believe 

Anybody else have same concerns?...........what other type mufflers are people using?

I had Flowmasters in my Charger for years. ZERO drone but the echo of the exhaust when driving next to another car or a freeway sound wall got to be too much. I loved the sound otherwise. Full throttle was pure music as long as I was in a wide open space.
I now have Ultra Flow 3" mufflers. They are supposed to flow better while being quieter.

ACUDANUT

I like flow masters.   :cheers:

c00nhunterjoe

Im sure that was pointed at me, anger- no, just not beating around the bush. If you think ultraflos will be quiet, then you are mistaken. If you think there is a "perfect" muffler, then you will be dissapointed. Every muffler has its tradeoffs no matter what brand or design. I suggest youtube as a start, but every camera records different then the next guys will. Best thing is go to cruises and hear the cars for yourself. Make friends and go for rides to hear in car sounds as well.

2 1/4 ultraflos. Loud as hell. https://youtu.be/lPINTtGZAqo

3" flowmaster 50 series suv mufflers.
https://youtu.be/di8VIN6i6ok

Troy

Length is a factor too. It's not fair to compare a 13" Ultra Flow to a 22" Flowmaster 50. Typically, longer will reduce the drone (or move it to a different frequency).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 30, 2016, 09:28:00 PM
Here we go again. I will make it short and to the point. All mufflers drone.

Never say "all". Perhaps "most" performance mufflers drone but my mommy's '73 Olds doesn't drone.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 05, 2016, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 30, 2016, 09:28:00 PM
Here we go again. I will make it short and to the point. All mufflers drone.

Never say "all". Perhaps "most" performance mufflers drone but my mommy's '73 Olds doesn't drone.

Fair enough john. Lol. Perhaps a better term would be resonate. All mufflers resonate, performance mufflers will drone, different rpm, different loads, all dependent on countless number of factors.

Kern Dog

Maybe you just have OVERsensitive ears?????

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 05, 2016, 09:25:37 PM

Nah, dont think so. The ultra flos on my hemi actually droned enough to rattle the panels in the charger. I know several people who added glasspack style mufflers in addition to the ultra flos, much like the factory hemi cars had to eliminate resonance.

John_Kunkel

I totally agree that the current crop of performance mufflers drone (and I'm hearing impaired), that's why I ignore all recommendations for them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

funknut

Also note that the shape of your exhaust tips can change the sound rather significantly as well.

When I bought my Charger it had a 2.25" exhaust with Flowmaster 40s and the stock-looking rectangular exhaust tips.  I personally love the sound, it's just too loud for extended driving, and makes for unsatisfying conversation with passengers.  :smilielol:

I 2nd spending a bunch of time on Youtube finding things that sound good to you and doing your best to replicate it.

When I get around to exhaust it will be a 2.5" or 3" with Spintechs. I haven't settled on their 3000 or 6000 series yet, but it will be one of those.

Good luck

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 06, 2016, 06:23:37 AM

Nah, dont think so. The ultra flos on my hemi actually droned enough to rattle the panels in the charger. I know several people who added glasspack style mufflers in addition to the ultra flos, much like the factory hemi cars had to eliminate resonance.

I did that when I first installed the Ultras.....I have since removed them.  Drone isnt that bad anymore...  maybe they broke in  LOL ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 06, 2016, 04:20:59 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 06, 2016, 06:23:37 AM

I did that when I first installed the Ultras.....I have since removed them.  Drone isnt that bad anymore...  maybe they broke in  LOL ;)
You mean your ear drumS :o

FJMG

The length of exhaust pipe is a LARGE factor with drone, technically resonance is reached when the natural frequency of the tailpipe is equal to the frequency of the exhaust pulses at a certain RPM, (depending on cam etc, as mentioned above) when this equality is reached the amplitude of vibration becomes LARGE.
You can have two people with the same muffler but if one is mounted in a slightly a different location (longer/shorter mid pipe) then drone will occur at different rpm.
I have seen many different ways the OEM deals with this, resonators like the old hemi or new srt8, some use a dead end end tube tee'd into exhaust of different lengths for each side while others just have a metal mass (some are the size of a jam jar) welded to the pipe at strategic locations (this moves the natural frequency of that pipe outside the normal cruising rpm range.
Soooooooo.............before buying more mufflers you may want to try securing weight to your exhaust pipe. Maybe hit up your roofer buddies to get a hold of some old plumbing stack lead flashing, cut a strip 6" wide or so and wrap it around your tailpipe close to where oem had reso's and secure it with hose clamps. Experiment with amount of weight and location and, once solved, weld on something permanent.

don duick

that "dead end tube tee ed in " to your exhaust pipe is a closed pipe resonator. I have them on my tailpipes. They have reduced my drone by about 80 percent. Borla mufflers have these inside the muffler.

c00nhunterjoe

I would suggest finding the tone you like 1st,  then tackle the noise level and drone next when choosing a muffler.

Chargen69

I have headman elite headers and 3 in pipe into 3" super 44's with turndowns.

I LOVE it, zero drone, but I also put in a LOT of sound deadner

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Chargen69 on July 08, 2016, 11:34:25 AM
I have headman elite headers and 3 in pipe into 3" super 44's with turndowns.

I LOVE it, zero drone, but I also put in a LOT of sound deadner

Lmao, that's cause they are so loud you cant hear the drone.  :cheers:

Chargen69

yeah, no way I could stomach it without the sound deadner