News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ho my the price of paint

Started by charger chris, June 25, 2016, 08:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

So I was out and about and I figured hey why not go check and see how much paint for my cars will cost me. So I went in to the store and asked the how much for a gallon of Plum crazy purple would cost me he told me 199.00 so I was like that's not bad and then I asked how much for go mango he looked at and said 840.00 and I was like for a gallon.  :o then I asked what if I use my employee discount? He said the lowest he can get it was 750.00 a gallon. I was like Holy crap  :o
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

sardillim

the more red that's in a color the more expencive its going to be

charger chris

Ya they use real gold in red. But I didn't realize that it would cost that much.p
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charge69

That was quite a price difference !   Red is the most expensive color for some reason !  Ask me how I know !  I used single stage paint and my painter, although very good at it, is not a professional painter.  He painted it top-to-bottom and underneath as well as inside-and-out with the paint and ended up using 4 gallons to get it right !  That's right, 4 GALLONS !  OF R6 RED !

charger chris

:o oh my! I didn't think about that part. How much paint does it take to paint a charger?

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

ACUDANUT

charge69

Well, I am certainly no pro painter but my Charger was painted on the rotisserie and primered and painted the complete gutted interior, the inside of the roof, the trunk, and the engine compartment. Then the complete exterior was given a couple of coats of paint then wet-sanded and given another 2 coats of paint on the body while still on the rotisserie. Although I have a vinyl top on the Charger, the top was primered and painted with a couple of coats of paint also.  Both doors, fenders, hood, front and rear roll pans' the rear quarter end pieces, and trunk lid were painted off the Charger the same way except for the small pieces, and then fitted to it. Remember, this is all single-stage paint.

If you can do all this with 2 gallons of paint I'll say more power to you ! 

A 2 gallon paint job would be just that ................... A 2 gallon paint job.

moparguy01

Depending on the paint, 2 gallons of color once properly mixed will be 3.5-4 gallons spray able material. It all varies depending on mixing ratios though. 4 gallons is a LOT of paint.....you think those are bad, go price out a gallon of house of color candy apple red. I about shit last time I quoted it.

hemi-hampton

I bought this same GO MANGO on the 67 Coronet R/T Convertible I did a few years ago & it was $800 a gallon then. When I tried to mix the paint myself I couldn't because it had a special tint we did not carry on the paint machine VM4 or something like that which is like a flip flop Pearl not commonly used & very expensive. LEON.

charger chris

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 25, 2016, 11:36:55 PM
I bought this same GO MANGO on the 67 Coronet R/T Convertible I did a few years ago & it was $800 a gallon then. When I tried to mix the paint myself I couldn't because it had a special tint we did not carry on the paint machine VM4 or something like that which is like a flip flop Pearl not commonly used & very expensive. LEON.
I see that's what makes so expensive. I didn't know that. I thought that color was just like a really bright orange color. So what dose it look like in the sun and out of the sun :scratchchin: ? I love the way it looks in pics

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger chris

Quote from: charger chris on June 26, 2016, 08:12:22 AM
I see that's what makes so expensive. I didn't know that. I thought that color was just like a really bright orange color. So what dose it look like in the sun and out of the sun :scratchchin: ? I love the way it looks in pics
Dose this paint need to be tweeked any to get the right out look?

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

hemi-hampton

Quote from: charger chris on June 26, 2016, 08:12:22 AM

Heres pics of Trunk in sun. LEON.

zoman440

Yeah, I paid $1,000 for a gallon of that same Chrysler Tangerine metallic containing pearl last year, pricey but looks awesome!

charger chris

Ok that don't look like the pics I have seen of that color ek2

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

hemi-hampton

My Pic was of the newer GO MANGO, Are you talking about the older Go Mango? if so shouldn't be that much. LEON.

charger chris

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 26, 2016, 06:14:00 PM
My Pic was of the newer GO MANGO, Are you talking about the older Go Mango? if so shouldn't be that much. LEON.
The older one.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger chris

Do you have that code so these people give me the right stuff. Because I want the old one.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

timmycharger

Sorry to hijak the thread but this got me wondering how many gallons of paint i should buy if the roof, jambs, trunk and engine bay are already painted. 2 gallons enough? 2 gallons of clear too?

charger chris

Hey it's ok I am trying to figure that out my self but everything needs to painted on my car. But is the paint code k2 2201 for the old one ( go mango )?

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

hemi-hampton

No special pearls in the older EK2 so I can't see it being $800? Think I got my EV2 Hemi Orange in cheaper PPG Shop Line for under $200 a gallon a few years ago, The EK2 should be similar. LEON.

Mike DC

QuoteThink I got my EV2 Hemi Orange in cheaper PPG Shop Line for under $200 a gallon a few years ago

That sounds pretty darn cheap. 

charger chris

Thanks for all the help guys :2thumbs:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Brock Lee

Quote from: charge69 on June 25, 2016, 08:34:21 PM
That was quite a price difference !   Red is the most expensive color for some reason !!

Because quality, stable, lightfast red pigment is organic and truly red. It is also not found all over the place. It is imported. Some colors will fake a red tone by using orange and yellow blended to simulate red. But even those have to be of decent quality or one will fade and the red will go with it. That is why cheap ass single stage paints lose the red so quickly.

charger chris

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 28, 2016, 12:44:48 AM
Quote from: charge69 on June 25, 2016, 08:34:21 PM
That was quite a price difference !   Red is the most expensive color for some reason !!

Because quality, stable, lightfast red pigment is organic and truly red. It is also not found all over the place. It is imported. Some colors will fake a red tone by using orange and red blended to simulate red. But even those have to be of decent quality or one will fade and the red will go with it. That is why cheap ass single stage paints lose the red so quickly.
And that is good reason I am staying away from single stage paints. I learned that in high school. You get what you pay for :smilielol: . The best stuff you have to work a little harder on. For the most part. One thing I have learned working at ppg is there are different grades in thing and it dose matter what you pay. Because you may thiink you are getting a good price on something and really your not. It's don't last long or you have a lot of wasted product. :hah:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charge69

Brock Lee: "Cheap ass single stage paints lose the red so quickly".   Kinda funny you would say that as good single stage paint is at least twice as expensive as BC/CC .  Maybe you meant a cheap SS and not all SS paints are "Cheap ass". My SS paint was not cheap and it looks as "RED" and shiny as the day I waxed it. Absolutely no fade and no orange mixed in. Just a beautiful pure red.  However it is only about 3 years old and never has seen rain nor too much "baking sun". As well as being put on thick, it received a great wet-sanding, buff and shine!  Just a beautiful SS paint job that I do not expect to fade for many years. At my age (almost 70), I don't expect it to fade at all in my lifetime.

I prefer a good SS paint over the super-glossy, almost fake-looking, BC/CC. They automatically look over-restored to me.  Just my opinion.