News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb issues... need help..

Started by Marck, June 21, 2016, 04:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Your fuel line on the sending unit shouldn't rotate at all. Need a new sending unit of have that one repaired maybe, Have you put a pressure gauge between the pump and carb to see what the pressure reads? Should be a good 6 to 7 psi, your carb is most likely a little gummed up from the fuel that has been setting in the bowls. They are not horrible to take apart and put back together and most of them these days have re-usable gaskets that make it alot less of a headache. The old days with paper style gaskets sucked big time. Alot of cleaning and scraping off old gasket material. It doesn't take much to make a carb unhappy especially with today's fuel.....

c00nhunterjoe

If it runs, there is fuel in the bowls. You can remove the sight plugs and gently rock the car. Fuel should dribble from them if the floats are set correct. In your video when you got the secondaries to open some, no fuel came from primary or secondary discharge nozzles. I seriiusly doubt bkth pump diaphrams are blown. Ive never seen that unless they were severly misadjusted and the springs look close enough for pink cams. Odds are the nozzles have gummed up fuel in them. Just take the nozzles off making sure to not drop the 2 metal washers down the carb and gently buml the accel pump levers to see if fuel comes up the tubes.

Marck

Hey guys..

Yesterday, after watching several youtube videos, I took of the carb and took it apart. I started with the accelerator diaphragms, but they looked fine, so I put them back in, and proceeded with the bowls and metering blocks. It quickly became obvious that my issue was dried up fuel residue, as it was clogging the nozzels on the accelerator pump, and the jets were also beginning to clog up.
I cleaned it all out with carb cleaner and put it back together, and put the carb back on.
I then started the engine, and got it to idle. Then I messed around with adjusting the accelerator pump, and got it a lot better than it was to begin with. It could still use some adjusting, but yesterday I took a short drive in my Charger for the first time in a couple of years, and it was just the best feeling.. Not only was I back behind the wheel, and broke the tires loose a couple of times, but with the help of you guys, I fixed it my self, and that is such a good feeling.. I know have a way better understanding of the mechanics of the carb, and will begin to mess around with it more, to make it run even better..  :cheers:

Thank you for your help everyone..  :icon_smile_big:

Marck

Oh I forgot, the fuel pickup was soldered from both sides, and I'll see if it holds up..  :icon_smile_big:

69wannabe

Glad you got it back up and running!! That's exactly what I figured was going on with it. It doesn't take long for the fuel these days to gum up and holley carbs hold the fuel and it doesn't evaporate like does in the carter/eldebrock carbs so when it starts going bad it stops up everything. Some good carb cleaner and some compressed air and a rubber tipped blower nozzle usually gets everything back to normal.