News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lead Fuel

Started by JHolslin, June 07, 2016, 04:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHolslin

I am dealing with a new project. 73 400 magnum.
will I need to run a Lead supplement or is this motor good to go??

b5blue

It "should" have 343 heads, they have the exhaust valve seats induction hardened. If they have not been cut quite a bit they could still be good to go. I ran a set of 343's for several years with no problems. (Check the casting # under the valve covers.)

Kern Dog

I'm pretty sure that the casting number is # 346.

John_Kunkel

The 346 heads have induction-hardened exhaust seats.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

I thought lead additives didn't work anyway?

Kern Dog

by 1972, the automakers were already expecting the lead in gasoline to be phased out. Compression ratios had dropped by 2 points in the 440!

crj1968

In my 30+ years of driving  I've never experienced any valve issues with unleaded gas in older engines.   :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: crj1968 on June 13, 2016, 04:58:36 PM
In my 30+ years of driving  I've never experienced any valve issues with unleaded gas in older engines.   :shruggy:

I also have experienced no valve issues with my old cars running on unleaded gas.

Maybe problems will only show up with extreme driving conditions? :shruggy:

crj1968

Quote from: ws23rt on June 13, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on June 13, 2016, 04:58:36 PM

I also have experienced no valve issues with my old cars running on unleaded gas.

Interesting perspective on the subject...

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/127758/Unleaded-gasoline-and-classic-cars-A-mechanic-s-viewpoint

myk

Well if that article is correct then the edict of having to change valve seats for unleaded fuel in older cars is now one of the biggest wive's tales that I've ever heard of...

Pete in NH

I've owned my 71 since it was new. In the mid 70's as the lead went away the 383 developed three burned exhaust valves. I was living in New Jersey at the time and making frequent trips to New Hampshire. The Charger had done that trip for many years without any problems but, when the lead went away those six hour highway trips were too much for the valves. when I pulled the heads the valves were clearly burnt and there were signs of seat regression. Fortunately, Chrysler had later heads for big block engines with hard seats and I built up a set of heads from those newer castings. These are still on the car today with no issues.

From my experience induction hardened  seats needed the lead for lubrication and cooling.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ws23rt on June 13, 2016, 05:33:01 PM

Even the factory acknowledged no problems except in performance applications.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

yea 346, 343 a typo on my part.  ::)

JHolslin

Im a new Mopar guy, so I should be able to see that Number casted in the head?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: JHolslin on June 16, 2016, 02:21:47 PM
Im a new Mopar guy, so I should be able to see that Number casted in the head?

Yes...under valve cover...last 3 digits of part number

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JHolslin

Awesome!! Thanks everybody!