News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

right hand side mirror

Started by tiki, June 14, 2016, 04:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

Did the 69 chargers originally have a side view mirror on the right and if so does anyone know the dimensions :cheers: for the drill holes because there is no right hand side mirror on mine 

tiki

They are the original doors too! :cheers:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

The right side mirror was optional  G31 was the code

Like others did I added mine to my Charger by eyeballing it...pretty much useless though...  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tiki

Thanks ill check the code... :2thumbs:

tiki

Thanks for the link tan top i have to check the code and i don't  know if i really want one... :2thumbs:

Mytur Binsdirti

toocheaptosmoke

I glued a convex spot mirror on top of my passenger mirror, I agree it was about useless being flat...

Polygon

I just bought one off the Bay, and will put it on too. Drivers side is a non remote, so I bought one to match.
That other post was interesting. Do we use the factory location. or move it 3/8 for a better view? I figure a better view, since my car is a driver.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

tiki

The door panel has a hole for the remote how did you use a non remote on the drivers side? :popcrn:

moparnation74

IMHO, I wouldn't waste the time or effort to add one....Not many buyers even considered that option back in the day

crj1968

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 14, 2016, 06:47:24 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 14, 2016, 05:21:18 PM
.pretty much useless though...  ;)

I'll second that as well.

Completely useless. More annoying than functional

Mytur Binsdirti

In fact, I'd say that because of the car's body lines and size of the mirror, the LH mirror is barely functional.

66FBCharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 15, 2016, 09:37:11 AM
In fact, I'd say that because of the car's body lines and size of the mirror, the LH mirror is barely functional.
That's true! I agree with that. The mirror(s) are one thing that drives me nuts. I drive the car a fair amount and I have been spoiled by modern day mirrors.
I saw reference to 1970 (only) Charger Rallye side view mirrors. Are these mirrors any better than the '68-'69 manual and remote mirrors offered?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

6bblgt

the passenger side mirror was rarely ordered as original equipment on '68-'70 b-bodies

a remote driver's side mirror was a popular OPTION on '68-'70 Chargers, but a manual mirror was STANDARD
IIRC the relief on the driver's side top pad for the remote "control" had a blank vinyl insert

the 1970 "sport mirrors" are smaller and the mirror head is mounted closer to the body - I'll ASSUME less usable .....

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 15, 2016, 11:56:40 AM
the passenger side mirror was rarely ordered as original equipment on '68-'70 b-bodies

If they hadn't become mandatory by government edict, drivers side mirrors probably wouldn't have been ordered that often either.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BrianShaughnessy

I put them on.     Balances the car IMHO.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 15, 2016, 01:14:31 PM
I put them on.     Balances the car IMHO.
I agree...."looks" good with both mirrors on..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Lee

Quote from: tiki on June 15, 2016, 06:17:18 AM
The door panel has a hole for the remote how did you use a non remote on the drivers side? :popcrn:

Factory non-remote cars had a color keyed delete plug that filled the hole in the pad.

b5blue

Quote from: tan top on June 14, 2016, 04:56:41 PM
there are a few good threads on the subject  , heres one of them

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,111791.0.html

In this link you can see the difference in shape. While not big that pass side mirror works, you can catch the bind spot if adjusted just right.  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

Having a mirror on the right side of these cars helps a lot when backing into very tight spaces. That's the main reason I installed them.
And like b5blue said, they can help with the right side blind spot if adjusted right.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Paul G

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on June 15, 2016, 06:16:00 PM
Having a mirror on the right side of these cars helps a lot when backing into very tight spaces. That's the main reason I installed them.
And like b5blue said, they can help with the right side blind spot if adjusted right.

I have to second that. You cant really see much on the right side of the car in traffic, but it does help backing in to the garage.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

TPR

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 15, 2016, 09:37:11 AM

True.
I find both of mine to be completely useless. I don't use them at all.
I check over my shoulder every time I change lanes. I'm used to it now and it's no big deal.
I wouldn't bother adding a RH side, unless you are particular about the symmetry.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

tiki

How does the after market mirror screw in is there a stud w/nut to be tightened and one screw from the outside?

68Charger4me

Mike DC

QuoteI find both of mine to be completely useless. I don't use them at all.
I check over my shoulder every time I change lanes. I'm used to it now and it's no big deal.

Agreed.  

I've had the idea of fabricating a set of stock-looking mirrors that are slightly oversized.  Just making the mirror face an extra 1/2 inch across would make a big difference in its total size.  

But I dunno.  The mirror face might need to be wider (rectangle or oval shaped) to give it a big real-world improvement.