News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

firm feel

Started by tiki, June 17, 2016, 03:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

I just sent my power steering box (69 charger) to firm feel,I hear a lot of good things about them, any others have positive experiences?Shipping usps cost me a fortune but it does weigh out at almost 40 lbs.He said there was a 3 week turnaround and i have to pay the shipping on the the way home...I get my original steering box back,bench tested and approved plus I ordered a pit man arm.I want to see how it handles and make a decision on casters later. :Twocents:

68pplcharger

I've got one of there rebuilt Power steering units in my car and it works awesome. They are very good to work with

adauto

FF or S&G.... I use S&G just because they are closer, save a few days turn around.
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

tiki

Great to hear 68! Lots of work getting that steering box out but well worth it...

tiki

just a few pics...

funknut

I had Firm Feel do my steering gearbox in the spring and it was a great transaction.  They got to it quite a bit sooner than their estimate, so maybe you will have similar luck.  Mine was pretty beat up when it went to them and came back in great shape.  I was and am very pleased.

Kern Dog

They are the best in the business. They do the best that can be done to a vintage design.
With that in mind, you may still notice some minor free play from center. With a worn out unit and overboosted fluid pressure, the slop isn't as noticeable. Once the unit is tighter, the free play is more apparent.

Mopar Nut

Just curious tiki, what are the dimensions of the box you sent it in? Cost to ship?  
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tiki

50.00 ground,  depending on where your shipping from,get yourself a sturdy cardboard box,that thing is a monster  :cheers:

Dino

It doesn't fit in a large flat rate box? You can ship up to 70 lbs in one of those.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ITSA426

We've used a few of them.  Always been pleased.  I would recommend them.

DAY CLONA

I hope you went with a Stage III rebuild...I hear they now offer a Stage 4, haven't tried that one, but hoping to in my next build

funknut

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 17, 2016, 09:01:29 PM
I hope you went with a Stage III rebuild...I hear they now offer a Stage 4, haven't tried that one, but hoping to in my next build

+1

I was debating between Stage 2 and 3 and ultimately went with Stage 3.  I'm very pleased and quite honestly it has a very reasonable weight to it, not at all hard to turn.  I'm sure my kids could steer with no issues.  I'm using a stock size steering wheel and pitman arm.

Highly recommended.

moparnation74

I have used FF and S&G and you cannot go wrong with either of the two......never had any problems whatsoever....

tiki

I used stage 2 recommended for my (b body) vehicle by firmfeel,i think he was saying that stage 3 are for a lot of (c body's)I hope the stage 2 is a nice feel...I still have a small window to change my mind to a stage 3... :popcrn: 

moparnation74

Quote from: tiki on June 19, 2016, 07:17:35 AM
I used stage 2 recommended for my (b body) vehicle by firmfeel,i think he was saying that stage 3 are for a lot of (c body's)I hope the stage 2 is a nice feel...I still have a small window to change my mind to a stage 3... :popcrn:  
Correct!

I used what the pro's at FF recommended which was stage 2 and the never second guessed that after many years, IMHO..

tiki

Thats good to know stage 2 is what the dr ordered

C500

Quote from: tiki on June 19, 2016, 08:05:12 PM
Thats good to know stage 2 is what the dr ordered

I have a Stage 2, based on advice. Haven't fitted it to the 69 yet, so can't tell ya how good it is.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Kern Dog

I guess the Stage 2 is better than a stock unit, but I'm unsure if it is enough. If a man is accustomed to the firmer response as new cars have, does the Stage 2 provide enough? I have a Stage 3 with fast ratio arms. I like the effort in my car. I can only guess as to how much easier it would steer with less resistance and stock ratio arms. For me, I wouldn't want that.

bill440rt

I have a S&G Stage 2 in two of my cars, very happy with the feel of both.
I went with S&G because they have a vendor spot at Carlisle. Saved a bunch on shipping, also swapped them a core right on the spot.

A PS box might fit in a USPS large flat rate box without the pitman arm. I've shipped manual steering boxes before that way. Not sure if a PS box will fit.  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce