News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona radiator

Started by BS27ROB, June 12, 2016, 11:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BS27ROB

My Daytona came with an aluminum radiator and I want to replace it with a correct one. It's a 440 4 speed, 515 SPD and 54 under RAD on the Broadcast Sheet, so should it be 2949054 small font? Are the Glen-Ray radiators correct or should I find an original and have it recored? What is the difference between their 3 row standard cooling and 3 row max cooling?

Charger-Bodie

Glen Ray does them beautifully .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

rnjump

Glen Ray's are perfect. I looked at using an old tank a guy wanted $250-300 for and getting it mated with a new core $4-500, and thought better of it. The Glen Ray comes with the right cap, lines and all mounting hardware. And the finish is a nice matte finish with no blemish anywhere.

41husk

Just got my c500 radiator back from glyn ray and it is amazing
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BS27ROB

Thanks for the replies recomending Glen-Ray. Does anyone have an opinion on the part number and font? I remembered having read this post from 2013 and it made me wonder.

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 22, 2013, 08:01:51 AM
Some (If not all) 4-Speeds I believe came with 055's

Are you sure on the 054?

Is yours a stick or an automatic?

Also - Either find an original and send it to Glen-Ray or buy a new one from them. Forget the others listed....

Thanks again

r4daytona

I bought an 055 when I first got my Daytona and found out it was wrong.  My car is an automatic and has an 054.  I have the 3 core from Glen Ray and couldn't be happier.  Never had overheating issues but got close one time.  That of course was going to a car show on a hot day and the people were pulling in so slow that I was idling for 10 mins, then move 15 feet, then idle some more  etc.  I'm very happy with what they did.

hemigeno

Quote from: BS27ROB on June 12, 2016, 11:09:39 AM
My Daytona came with an aluminum radiator and I want to replace it with a correct one. It's a 440 4 speed, 515 SPD and 54 under RAD on the Broadcast Sheet, so should it be 2949054 small font?

If your Broadcast Sheet shows 54, then that's what I'd use for sure.  From what you've said, the car is a Sales Code A34 Super Track Pak (4.10 ratio), I take it?  There are isolated examples of original/untouched cars (no Daytonas that I've heard about like this) that have a different radiator than what was called out on the sheet; but the one 1969 example that I trust went "larger" than what was called out.  It was "supposed" to get an 055 2-row, and it had a 3-row 054 instead.  Even if I thought the car had mistakenly been fitted with a 055 radiator, I'd go with what the B-sheet calls out.  Too much heartburn to do otherwise, plus it's a huge step backward in cooling capacity.  DAMHIK

Bob @ Glen-Ray can give you advice on the font size.  Off the top of my head, I don't remember.  He lives and breathes this stuff.  I think he knows the exact date they switched over at the radiator plant to the different font, which goes by the date on the mounting flange moreso than the SPD... although all the early stuff would have been gone by mid-May.

Are the Glen-Ray radiators correct or should I find an original and have it recored?

Glen-Ray can do either, with superb results.  They rebuilt my original radiator, and sourced a good OEM core to use.  The fins-per-inch and general shape of the fin itself are both unique to that era, so you can tell an original radiator core if you know what to look for.  OEM cores are (again) a step backward in cooling capacity, as heat dissipation is a function of the total surface area of the fins.  More fins = more cooling.  Unless you're planning to have your car judged at a place which might deduct points for such (Paul Jacobs @ the Nationals is likely the only one I can think of who would note this distinction), then I would most definitely ditch the OEM core and go with one of Bob's industrial-strength reproductions.  Since you're using a 054 3-row setup to begin with, there's not much upgrading you can do other than increase the fin density.

I would also recommend going with reproduction tanks too.  Some of the OEM used radiators I've looked at have started to show signs of metal fatigue and corrosion on the tank (brass) itself, which might cause premature failure.  Their reproductions are good enough that it's not worth taking the chance - unless it's a car destined for the highest level of OE judging.  Even the Concours d'Elegance shows I've participated in have had zero concern for such details.  Bottom tanks live a hard life too, as it's very difficult to find a nice original that doesn't resemble a lunar surface.

What is the difference between their 3 row standard cooling and 3 row max cooling?

Are we talking about Glen-Ray, or Chrysler?  To my knowledge, Chrysler only had one variant of 26" 3-row radiators for '69 B-bodies.  If you got the 054, that was the top offering as far as cooling capacity, and was considered part of the "Max Cooling" package.  The 26" 055 2-row radiator had all the other cooling system components, but was considered a "Medium Cooling" package.  I'd call it a poor choice for a Daytona, so consider yourself lucky not to have that on your car.

Honestly, you can't tell that much about the radiator cores once the car is completed.  Right now, my Daytona has a 055 top tank (which is thankfully the same exact size as a 054 top tank), Glen-Ray's biggest/baddest 3-row core, and the same bottom tank used on 054 radiators.  The numbers look correct for the B-sheet application, but the cooling system is much improved.  If you measured the distance from the front row of fins to the radiator yoke, you'd find less space than there would be if I had the stock radiator in place.  Plus, the fins are much closer together and there's way more of them.  Neither of those details bother me at all, and I seriously doubt it would ever be noticed if nothing was said about the subject.

In the case of an 054, I'd upgrade to the highest-level Glen-Ray reproduction (complete) radiator assembly and never look back.

:Twocents:

BS27ROB

Quote from: hemigeno on June 16, 2016, 11:31:45 AM
My Daytona came with an aluminum radiator and I want to replace it with a correct one. It's a 440 4 speed, 515 SPD and 54 under RAD on the Broadcast Sheet, so should it be 2949054 small font?

If your Broadcast Sheet shows 54, then that's what I'd use for sure.  From what you've said, the car is a Sales Code A34 Super Track Pak (4.10 ratio), I take it?  

Bob @ Glen-Ray can give you advice on the font size.  Off the top of my head, I don't remember.  He lives and breathes this stuff.  I think he knows the exact date they switched over at the radiator plant to the different font, which goes by the date on the mounting flange moreso than the SPD... although all the early stuff would have been gone by mid-May.

:Twocents:

Yes A34. I took your advice and called Bob, he said the N51 Max Cooling that came with the A34 would have called for the 054. He also said the large font early, small mid production, and back to large later in the year.

Thanks

maxwellwedge

Sorry to chime in late on this Cy.
I did some re-checking as well.... and agree with everything Geno says. As far as font size - I would probably go large font.
Cheers,
Jim