News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Random starting issue

Started by 1968_Charger, June 09, 2016, 07:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

Ive been having an intermittent starting issue for a while now and I cant figure out what could be the cause.

Randomly my car will go from normal start, to sometimes causing the starter to make a grinding sound as if its not getting enough power, to sometimes doing absolutely nothing at all when I turn the key. I have checked grounds, bypassed the nss and it still just randomly does it. Put in new battery and it worked for a few starts and then it goes back to the random issues. The car doesnt even have to move and it can go from starting to doing one of the other non start symptoms.

I pulled the instrument cluster out today and found the clock power wire loose and a cluster light wire loose. I fixed those and put it back together. It fired right up perfect several times in a row. I did this about six times and then it went back to the starter grinding or not trying to start at all.

Anyone have any suggestions? Its so random its hard to track down.

rebby

I had something similar happen earlier this spring. Ended up being a busted starter bolt for me. I replaced both with grade 8 hardware.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

1968_Charger

I dont think thats the issue because the starter seems solid. Did you also have times where turning the key did absolutely nothing?

rebby

Not really. I always heard the starter making noise in one way or another.

Have you checked the starter relay?
Curt Rebelein, Junior

1968_Charger

I havent swapped it out. The thing is any time I mess with any one part it seems to fix it for a few starts and then it goes right back to the same issues. That makes it hard for me to pin it down. I can sometimes jiggle wires at the bulk head and it fixes it. Other times it doesnt. With it sitting still not starting I bypassed the nss and it started working. It worked for a day and then next thing you know it was back to doing the same thing again. I swapped the battery. It worked great for a while then back to the same issue.

rebby

You could jump the starter relay. Easy enough trick with a screwdriver but if it's a random issue, that may not help either.

What about the actual ignition switch? I had a really worn switch that made starting the car a real chore. I wonder if you could be sending intermittent power to the starter relay? Might want to check the bulkhead connection as well to make sure that the contacts are all clean.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

myk

How is your bulkhead connector?

Pete in NH

1968_Charger

Bulkhead and wiring all appear to be in great shape. I will try to jump the starter relay. I did try this before when I was testing out the nss and it worked fine when I bypassed that on the starter relay. It could be the ignition switch, but I think I had replaced that within the last 5 years and it doesn't get driven a lot.

1968_Charger

Does this make sense to anyone? Today I tried to start it. Got nothing. Flipped the headlight switch a few times and then I got the attempted starter grinding noise. Flipped the headlight switch about five times in a row and then it fired right up. Nothing else was changed except flipping the switch. How does that have anything to do with the car losing starting power?

myk

You said you could wiggle your bulkhead connector and get it to work.  I say start looking into those connections.   My car had similar issues when I was still running the bulkhead connectors...

1968_Charger

Well I pulled the whole instument cluster out again and now its firing up every time with it out and leaned down on the steering wheel. Starting perfectly. I dont see anything out of place or unhooked. It seems to be some type of short in or on the cluster but nothing I can see. I tried starting with the headlight switch hooked up and unhooked and it works either way with no difference.

1968_Charger

So far. Its firing right up every time now. Guess we will see how long this lasts. Thank you guys for your advice. Ill let you know if I ever figure out for sure what the issue is.

1968_Charger

Just wanted to share. I drove the car all day today and never had an issue.

On a light note. I had two young guys in a mustang trying to check out the charger and the guy ran off the road and onto a concrete median because he was looking over at my car. All I could hear was his car bottoming out on the median so im sure he busted something. His passenger was cracking up laughing. First time the car has caused someone to crash. I felt kinda bad for him.

rebby

Quote from: 1968_Charger on June 11, 2016, 11:24:34 PM

On a light note. I had two young guys in a mustang trying to check out the charger and the guy ran off the road and onto a concrete median because he was looking over at my car. All I could hear was his car bottoming out on the median so im sure he busted something. His passenger was cracking up laughing. First time the car has caused someone to crash. I felt kinda bad for him.

Holy crap! I hope that they're okay. I always worry about people getting into an accident when they're looking at my car so closely while driving. I constantly have people taking pictures and videos out the window while going down the road, sometimes in bumper to bumper traffic at highway speeds.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

Al

"to sometimes doing absolutely nothing at all when I turn the key."

I have exactly the same problem. Cleaned the connections etc. still keeps coming back  :flame:
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

1968_Charger

Yea rebby. They were ok. Low speed crash.

As far as my issue. Went outside today and its still firing right up. No idea what it was but its working flawlessly again.

myk

Quote from: 1968_Charger on June 11, 2016, 11:24:34 PM

I really wish people wouldn't nut all over themselves when they see our cars.  More trouble than it's worth...