News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you pay?

Started by Sugardemon, June 08, 2016, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 09, 2016, 02:45:03 PM
Skimmed thru all the blah blah blah and still no pics?

Yep, no car pics and no Scarlett pics.  :rotz:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

westcoastdodge

paid 10,000 usd  :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

68X426

That floor is beautiful.  :drool5:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 08, 2016, 10:29:52 PM
Quote from: Sugardemon on June 08, 2016, 10:04:37 PM
I know a trustworthy paint and body man who would likely take it on as a side project for probably 10-12K labor plus parts and paint but he would have to take care of his regular repeat customers on a timely basis (of course) and work on this car in his spare time....so it would probably a 18-24 mo project. 

I hear everyone that says buy one already restored but it's not like there are hundreds out there to choose from.  Especially if you're wanting a certain color combo.

Bad idea to take it some place as the work on it when we have nothing else to do kind of job
Have you had a car restored at this place you talk about in this manner before ??
Lots of parts will get lost and always take at least twice as long as you hope or promised it would take to get done

There are a million stories in the city. Yours will be one of them. Don't do it. I've seen this scenario fail 10 times more than work out.

Lots of great suggestions above. I like the idea of buying a nice 318 car and then adding the engine of your choice and maybe even a color change. Still cheaper in the long run and can be done in phases at your leisure while you drive and enjoy the car. Or, a nice A-body is good too.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Mike DC

QuoteThere are a million stories in the city. Yours will be one of them. Don't do it. I've seen this scenario fail 10 times more than work out.

Lots of great suggestions above. I like the idea of buying a nice 318 car and then adding the engine of your choice and maybe even a color change. Still cheaper in the long run and can be done in phases at your leisure while you drive and enjoy the car. Or, a nice A-body is good too.

For the most part I agree.  

But -

I had suggested "buy a 318 VIN car" rather than "buy a 318 car" for a reason.  The latter is sort of like saying "find a little old lady first-owner car."  It's still good advice but it's becoming outdated advice.  These days most of the nice surviving 318 cars have already gotten a hi-po drivetrain swapped into them.

ht4spd307

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 09, 2016, 07:52:59 AM
If the 1/4s and trunk are gone, i bet the frame is too. Might not be showing on the outside, but when you cut whats left of the trunk out, you will find the inner side of the rails rotted as well.

Since when did a car that needs quarters automatically need rails. What a derogatory statement based on nothing.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on June 09, 2016, 08:24:28 PM
If the 1/4s and trunk are gone, i bet the frame is too. Might not be showing on the outside, but when you cut whats left of the trunk out, you will find the inner side of the rails rotted as well.

Since when did a car that needs quarters automatically need rails. What a derogatory statement based on nothing.

He said 1/4s and trunk floor were gone. It was merely a suggestion that you inspect it yourself rather then take the sellers word for it that "it has a solid frame" that we see posted all the time.

Brock Lee

Yeah, we can't see the rot, so it is impossible to say. Though typically trunk pans rot due to that foam mat between them and the gas tank and quarters rot in the wheel wells, while rails stay fairly solid.

Dreamcar

This. The more I dug into mine, the more I found that I couldn't see from the outside.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Sugardemon

Kind of a bummer.  I was hoping for a more positive response towards a project but I appreciate everyones' honesty.... and I totally understand why.  I have had MANY projects that turned out WAY more expensive and complicated than I originally thought.  If I could be into it for $40-45k at the end, I'd be cool with that.

I intentionally didn't post pics of the car to protect the seller.  He seems like an honest person and I wouldn't feel right having him slammed in the forum or criticized on asking price.  He has a bad azz lookin' car, though.  His interior looks identical to mine back in 72.

Alas, I think my original Charger R/T has probably been converted into ten thousand steel cans full of Del Monte Green Beans by now... so my hunt continues.

Charger-Bodie

Theres one on ebay. Is that the one you were considering? Because its mine and I am open to some negotiation.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

fastmark

Here's my opinion. Remember, in the long run, it is still my opinion. I saw a fat chick at the store today in Yoga pants. I'm sure that HER OPINION was that she looked good. MY OPINION  was that she did NOT!!!. Ok, I assume you are looking for a exact year, color and R/T AND a 4 speed to replace the one you formerly owned. So you are looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack" Charger. This will be hard to find. I'm not a clone type of guy. These cars can be an investment or a money pit. You will get SOME of your money back when you sell or maybe even make money it you are smart and follow the past examples of sales. The vast majority of things you spend money on in life, you loose money on. Ask me about weddings!!! And my daughter was frugal. So, if you enjoy it for awhile and get some back, your golden. I don't buy or try to fix rusty cars. I live in Texas where cars are few but they are hardly ever rusty. I would never consider a car that needed a complete back half or possibly frame rails. After you see enough of the cars exposed , you are amazed that they have survive 40 plus year. The factory did not put much effort into rust prevention. A good interior is not much in my books either because most of the interior stinks and needs to be redone anyway. However, these cars are getting so hard to find as projects, fixing rusty ones is almost the only option. Good body men are not cheap and I hope your guy is good with rusty cars. If you take all the metal off, it has to be installed correctly or you will have problems galore. Me, I always pony up and buy good solid rust free cars and pay more than most would consider the going rate. I paid $2200 for a Superbird that everyone in Houston past on in 83. I think I can get my money back on it.  These cars have not only held there value, they have inflated.A little more recent in 2008, I bought a one owner, 100% rust free, 70 Charger R/T auto, white with a perfect green interior for $13,000. The motor had sat in the guys garage for 21 years with the carb off so the motor stuck.It will make money today. You are talking about the most iconic muscle car of all time.   That is saying a lot for me as I have always been an ebody man. Chargers are the top of the heap. I don't think it is going away any time soon. I just sold a 69 R/T to a 35 year old. He has wanted one since he was a kid. I understand that you are getting older, I'm 59. I still love to tinker with the cars. I have a nice big shop, though.
I know I have rambled on here, but I guess my final thought is this. If you really want a particular car (70 R/T 4 speed  in the correct color), your choices are this. 1.Build the rusty car and spend lots of money and time and when you sell you will get most of your money back. Time will be the killer here. 2.Build the clone and drive it as you work on it. If you have to paint it anyway, that may be a game changer. When you sell, get ready to take it in the shorts. 3. Look for a done car, pay what the market dictates  and hope you buy a car that is done very well. Most of the cars out there that are a really good deal, have some flaws that hold them back. choose wisely. When you sell, you should make a little. 4. Look for a better starting point that is not as rusty. You will pay more but your body man will love you for it and you will be driving it sooner.You may have more time and money in it than the current market but you will know what you have instead of taking some else word  for it. They are out there. I just bought one. It's not a gold 70 R/T 4 speed or you would be in luck. In the end, with me doing the assembly, I could be in for $50K when done. Good luck on your search.

Mopar Nut

Here's a deal!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Sugardemon

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on June 11, 2016, 09:26:00 AM
Theres one on ebay. Is that the one you were considering? Because its mine and I am open to some negotiation.

Yeah, it was yours, Brian.  If I was going to do the work myself and if i was close enough to inspect the car, we may have been able to work something out. But at my age, I don't want to spend the time or energy personally putting it into a nice driver condition and to pay someone to do the work really wouldn't make it cost effective.