News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deck filler panel

Started by Dreamcar, May 25, 2016, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Has anyone ever purchased the deck filler panel that's not from AMD? So, either the Sherman or Goodmark pieces? The AMD piece, from pictures, seems to be just like the original in that it has the corners that go into the rear window gutter. The pics of the Sherman piece don't show the corners as having those gutter extensions, but often the pics are wrong anyway.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Baldwinvette77

For fun i've bought sherman and goodmark pieces for the same car, a 70 cutlass though, the driverside quarter panel, fender and floor pan was from sherman, the passenger side was goodmark, they are exactly the same parts, even have the same "imported from taiwan" information, Same relief cuts, and the same flaws on the quarter skins, and fender pieces.

AMD make their own parts in house. and are usually much higher quality and much closer to original parts.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 25, 2016, 09:32:50 PM
For fun i've bought sherman and goodmark pieces for the same car, a 70 cutlass though, the driverside quarter panel, fender and floor pan was from sherman, the passenger side was goodmark, they are exactly the same parts, even have the same "imported from taiwan" information, Same relief cuts, and the same flaws on the quarter skins, and fender pieces.

AMD make their own parts in house. and are usually much higher quality and much closer to original parts.

The hood, dutchman panel and battery tray I bought from AMD were all made in Taiwan.

Baldwinvette77

Oh, Well then nevermind  :lol:

charger_fan_4ever

AMD full 1/4's with amd dutchmen panel and AMD lower plenum dont even line up at the corners. Get out your rear window trim and tweak the panel to best fit. We had to recontour the corners to correct the AMD fail on my 70. Oh ya and splice and remake the seam between dutchmen panel and 1/4.

Mike DC

QuoteThe hood, dutchman panel and battery tray I bought from AMD were all made in Taiwan.

Try hitting a Goodmark panel with a cutoff wheel and then try it on an AMD panel.  Taiwanese or not, the AMD stuff is noticeably more substantial.

Metal thickness figures can be misleading.  The problem with bad repro metal tends to be the crappy quality of the steel itself.  It can be OEM thickness but still feel more flimsy & lightweight.

hemi-hampton

Oh ya and splice and remake the seam between dutchmen panel and 1/4.

Just a little hammer & dolly should work I've been told, no splicing neccessary :scratchchin: :shruggy: :slap: :brickwall:

phantom

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 29, 2016, 10:58:54 PM
Oh ya and splice and remake the seam between dutchmen panel and 1/4.

Just a little hammer & dolly should work I've been told, no splicing neccessary :scratchchin: :shruggy: :slap: :brickwall:

I had to use a bunch of vise grips, then tighten them with self tapping screws before welding. The dutchman side of the splice is very straight, the 1/4 side is flimsy and not straight at all. These were AMD parts.