News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 RT gas tank and sending unit recommendations?

Started by MGBRingo, June 04, 2016, 09:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGBRingo

I need to buy a new gas tank and sending unit. Did a search but didn't find anything

Where would you recommend buying it?

I see Toms Classics in Isanti MN sells on EBay. He is about 20 miles from me. Anyone used him?

Looks like he has a stainless steel tank for $189  Is that a good idea?

Last sending unit I purchased several years ago never did work very well.

Thanks for any recommendations or ideas you have.

Ron

Kern Dog

It seems that most all reproduction fuel sending units do read differently compared to the original ones. The stock setup had a better method of reading the fuel. The tank usually had a half tank when the guage read half. The repro senders never seem to read as close. It has something to do with the rheostat and the float arm. There are some OEM 5/16" senders still available. They are supposed to read as accurate as they did in the old days. Dixie Auto parts....

davidcam69

I bought my stainless tank from Van's. Installed it by myself with no problems. Really looks sharp. Don't know about the sending units. I'm using my original.

Lennard

I bought a Spectra tank, because of the good reviews it got. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Lennard on June 05, 2016, 09:54:16 AM
I bought a Spectra tank, because of the good reviews it got. :Twocents:

X2, and there is non such thing as a R/T gas tank.   :Twocents:

Derwud

Standard or ECS? I bought a Tanks Inc tank for Fuel Injection.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

MGBRingo

Tanks for the replies.  :smilielol:

I just ordered the whole setup from Rock Auto. They have the standard, Spectra Premium tanks, sending unit, and fuel pump. Looks like a good brand.

$263 for the tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and filter including shipping.

rebby

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 04, 2016, 11:49:44 PM
It seems that most all reproduction fuel sending units do read differently compared to the original ones. The stock setup had a better method of reading the fuel. The tank usually had a half tank when the guage read half. The repro senders never seem to read as close. It has something to do with the rheostat and the float arm. There are some OEM 5/16" senders still available. They are supposed to read as accurate as they did in the old days. Dixie Auto parts....

A little light reading in the topic of gauge vs fuel level -> http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,123709.0.html
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

70sixpkrt

I bought my Spectra tank last year from 521 Restoration. Nice tank and no problems. I bought a new sending unit from Kramers Auto and it reads correctly. I have bought sending units from a few other places and they all read wrong.
http://kramerauto.com/

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

MGBRingo

A quick update. 

I got everything installed.  Gas tank is very nice.  Fuel pump works great.  Sending unit, not so much.  It doesn't read correctly. Shows about 1/4 tank when it is over half full.  I will fill it up this week and see if it shows more. 

Looks like it reads like others have reported.  I will be looking into the Kramer unit.  Thanks for the help. 

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70sixpkrt

It's not the arm. It has to do with the ohms. When the unit is wet, the ohms read wrong. Return it and get one from Kramers. He checks the calibration before he sends them out. I had to return a few of them from different vendors before I got one from Kramers. His are the only ones reading correctly right now.

rebby

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on June 20, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
It's not the arm. It has to do with the ohms. When the unit is wet, the ohms read wrong. Return it and get one from Kramers. He checks the calibration before he sends them out. I had to return a few of them from different vendors before I got one from Kramers. His are the only ones reading correctly right now.

I'm not so sure about that. I tested one -> http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,123709.0.html (same link as above).
Curt Rebelein, Junior

70sixpkrt

I have had no problems with mine since the day I installed it.

rebby

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on June 22, 2016, 02:49:21 PM
I have had no problems with mine since the day I installed it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they work just fine. They're just calibrated in the same linear fashion as I've found with other repop senders. 24 ohms should be 1/2 tank. 15.5 gallons is not even close to 1/2 of 19. Even with the Kramer sender, 1/2 tank (roughly 9.5 gallons) sits right on the 1/4 reading as far as the gauge is concerned. Perhaps something changed with the Kramer senders over the years? I obtained mine about 2 days prior to the referenced post (late April of this year).
Curt Rebelein, Junior

MGBRingo

That sounds right. I put about 11 gallons in my new tank and it reads just over 1/4 tank.

This isn't rocket science. They must just guess when they build them. Frustrating when we pay good money for them and they don't work.

MGBRingo

I just filled the tank up today and it still shows less than 1/2 tank.