News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat sliders...What kind of Black?

Started by MadScientist, April 09, 2006, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hey all,

I am working on my seats right now and Im getting ready to refinish the base plates and sliders the seats bolt onto.  Can anyone tell me what kind of black was orignially on there?  It looks like it had a pretyy high gloss on there from what I can see in some of the non-exposed areas.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

MS

bill440rt

MS,
You're right, it is a slightly glossier shade than just semi-gloss black. Being an over-achiever, I did mine with PPG's Deltron black. For originality/correctness, if you used gloss black out of a rattle can that should be close. Spray paint never has the gloss that automotive paint does, and loses some if it's glossyness (word?) over time, I've noticed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MadScientist

What if you were to put a coat of celar over it and followed with a light buff?  Can rattle can stuff be buffed?

MS

bill440rt

I guess you could put clear on them, but really isn't necessary. Rattle can stuff can be buffed, but generally spray paint from a rattle can isn't very thick to begin with & you'll buff through very easily.
For that trouble, just shoot them with gloss black rattle can paint.
Or, for something a little more durable, try Eastwood's Gloss Chassis Black paint. It's epoxy based, & very durable.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MadScientist

Yeah, I guess that makes sense about the thickness.  I had never tried it and didnt know if it was possible.  I will probably go with the Chassis black, thanks to TX9!

TPQ

Dodge Don

I use Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black.....love it!!