News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speed of starting your charger

Started by fireguyfire, May 31, 2016, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

good discussion gents and yes I do appreciate the old technology and have restored several Mopar muscle cars over the years; just find this one a bit slower to start.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

b5blue

Mini starter from D&B and Optima red top battery.....BAM!  :2thumbs:

fireguyfire

Ordered up a DB mini starter; will be curious to see the difference when installed
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

myk

Make sure your battery and cabling are up to snuff, or else it won't make a difference how good the starter is...

johnnycharger

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 08:16:03 AM
Make sure your battery and cabling are up to snuff, or else it won't make a difference how good the starter is...

Yup.
I would start with something simple like making sure your battery is 100%. I recently changed by battery and alternator and was amazed as to how much faster it starts. I didn't think my battery was that bad and I always kept it it on a tender just because sometimes it sits for a few weeks. I don't use the tender anymore and if I start it after it sits for a few days it still fires up almost instantly.  If I let it sit over a week it usually requires a couple of pumps of the pedal and about 5 seconds of cranking. 

fireguyfire

Battery and all cables are brand new; battery is 100% and cranks the old starter beautifully
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

Mopar Nut

Quote from: holanae on June 01, 2016, 01:16:04 PM
I understand going electronic is better, but I'm still on points and mine starts up in half a turn.  It's all about dialing everything in properly. 
:iagree:  even without a choke.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 03, 2016, 09:47:34 AM
Battery and all cables are brand new; battery is 100% and cranks the old starter beautifully
Mine did to. Then I noticed cranking seemed to peter out faster than expected. I installed the D&B mini and things seemed back to normal. After a bunch of engine and other repairs the battery got worked pretty hard, recharged and then everything would sit while doing other repairs. A bit later I noticed if the engine didn't start right away the battery ran out of reserve pretty quick. I bought the Red Top Optima to replace my standard battery and found the Red Top really spins the mini much much faster. The Optima outputs more amps at cranking and that gets the fuel pump moving fuel much faster. My engine has never had starting issues unless it sat for over a month but now it really really cranks right up!  :2thumbs: 

Brock Lee

When I bought my current car, it was bone stock under the hood. Factory 2 bbl carb, intake, huge starter, points ignition, etc. So long as it hadn't sat for a week, it would fire up immediately. Over the course of a year I changed the intake, carb, added a small starter, new fuel line, pump, modified to electronic ignition..and now it acts like everybody elses. You have to pump it a few times on a cold start. I know it is the way it goes, but I can't help but think that they all were not like this..this one certainly hasn't always been doing it.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 01, 2016, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: tcs69rt on June 01, 2016, 10:45:43 AM
Fireguyfire = Looks like most people have great ideas for you. The positive side of it not firing immediately is that you get oil circulating before it fires. I have a mechanical fuel pump and on cold starts I turn the key for a few seconds while pumping the gas pedal, it usually does not fire instantly when you think of the distance fuel must travel to reach the cold carb. I turn the key again and it will fire now that fuel is in the carb. I had a 68 Barracuda with an electric fuel pump and it would fire instantly. It's all about the timing, fuel and spark.  :2thumbs:

I concur with this.   If the car has been sitting for a few days, I purposely do not set my choke (ie pump gas)....  I crank engine over for a few seconds just to get oil circulating....then I set choke & she fires on second revolution.

When its hot it fires instantly....

PS---Eddy 800 Thunder Series....
Same carb and procedure!! I like to think it eliminates any air in the system.. :Twocents:

brad mcintyre

pump 2 or three times starts 2nd time around  :cheers: :cheers:

fireguyfire

Installed the D&B mini starter last night; unbelievable how quick the car fires now; I barely think about turning the key and she's running!
Although I will miss that Mopar starter sound I sure wont miss the slower starts! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 10, 2016, 07:10:26 AM
Installed the D&B mini starter last night; unbelievable how quick the car fires now; I barely think about turning the key and she's running!
Although I will miss that Mopar starter sound I sure wont miss the slower starts! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

I don't miss the sound of repeated cranking at all...
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

myk

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 10, 2016, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: fireguyfire on June 10, 2016, 07:10:26 AM

:2thumbs:

I don't miss the sound of repeated cranking at all...

Lol good point...

Bob

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 02, 2016, 06:36:41 AM
Throw out the boat anchor old style starter and get a mini-starter.  Spins the engine a lot faster.

Exactly!

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on June 02, 2016, 05:40:23 PM
Mini starter from D&B and Optima red top battery.....BAM!  :2thumbs:

I have a Denso mini starter. My blue top Optima is on its way out though. I just ordered a new red top with 800 CCA. The car used to start fine before the battery started to fail. It never spun as fast as a newer car though.