News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody else have eBay buyer issues?

Started by LowDeck451, May 09, 2016, 08:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowDeck451

Hey all, just thought I'd share some recent eBay problems and ask if these are typical or what? I recently joined eBay to auction a car (not a Charger) in March and had a 'successful' auction, reserve was met and then some, great! The first red flag was, the high bidder had just joined eBay on the day the auction ended......hmmm. After they explained that they are 'out at sea' and have limited access to their bank account....... Long story short, eBay recommended I cancel their order, so I did. I offered the car to the second place bidder, he said he wanted the car but would need a little more time, I said OK, he hit the 'buy' button, and gave me the 'NON REFUNDABLE' deposit, great! We talked a few more times over the next couple weeks and then 'poof!', he disappears of the face of the earth, can't reach him. Talked to eBay, they said re-list it, so I did. Well, had another 'successful' auction with the car, and though it's only (only?) been 24 hours since it ended, the winning bidder has yet to respond to my personal message, jeez! I don't get it. Anybody else have problems like this? Is eBay down to about a 30/70 sell/no-sell rate? Thanks.

1974dodgecharger

thats normal....if you got a deposit good for you...their loss move on  :2thumbs:

lukedukem

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 09, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
thats normal....if you got a deposit good for you...their loss move on  :2thumbs:

What he said. I've heard this story a dozen times. Deposits are good. Free money

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

RallyeMike

I've sold 3 cars and numerous other items and never had a flake winner. All three car buyers paid in cash in full within 48 hours. Frankly, I thought those buyers were actually overly trusting.

On the flip side, I have had lots a flakes asking ridiculous questions and harassing me - they just never won anything I was selling. You ask them to be nice ONCE and if they continue your report them to eBay and let them know that you did. They go away fast after that.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

LowDeck451

RallyeMike, good to know, maybe there's hope, but not yet. Just got a message from the 2nd place bidder, he's accusing ME of running up the bid and that's why his bid was so high, and is offering me quite a bit less now! I'll send him some sort of 'Nice Try' message in the morning. Sheesh!, this is getting downright silly! I'll keep trying, it'll happen. Thanks for the input guys.  :cheers:

GOTWING

you can go in settings and make it so the bidder must have at least ten positive feedbacks, the jerks that "just joined" with zero feedback are scammers. Since I changed my settings it's been so nice to not have to deal with this crap from them.  :yesnod:

myk

Who the fark buys stuff on ebay and can't pay for it?  I've never understood that.  Personally, I don't even do auctions, only BUY IT NOW ads since I don't want the hassle of having to place bids.   Another example of people just sucking these days....

tcs69rt

LOWDECK451 = Were you required to set up a Paypal account to sell the vehicle on ebay? I did this 4 years ago to sell / buy Harley parts. Paypal pre-approved me for their line of credit (23%) that I was unaware of. When I wired a few hundred from my account, they sent it from their credit line and tried to charge me 23% interest. After an hour on the phone with Paypal they finally "undid" the 23% wire and correctly sent the buyer my money. Once this happened I called to cancel my Paypal account and they wanted a hand written letter of request to close my account with them? I said I am on the phone now with you and am expressing my request to close my account and they denied me. I still have not sent the letter and gave up on ebay because of them. I hope your sale goes well!  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

RallyeMike

QuoteRallyeMike, good to know, maybe there's hope, but not yet. Just got a message from the 2nd place bidder, he's accusing ME of running up the bid and that's why his bid was so high, and is offering me quite a bit less now! I'll send him some sort of 'Nice Try' message in the morning. Sheesh!, this is getting downright silly! I'll keep trying, it'll happen. Thanks for the input guys.   

Screw him. Just relist it and tell him good luck. Since your winner backed out, you should be able to relist for free.

Hang in there!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

LowDeck451

Quote from: GOTWING on May 11, 2016, 08:14:25 AM
you can go in settings and make it so the bidder must have at least ten positive feedbacks, the jerks that "just joined" with zero feedback are scammers. Since I changed my settings it's been so nice to not have to deal with this crap from them.  :yesnod:
Good tip. Although my 'jerk' has a (54) 100% positive rating. But yeah, I hear ya'.

LowDeck451

Quote from: tcs69rt on May 11, 2016, 04:26:25 PM
LOWDECK451 = Were you required to set up a Paypal account to sell the vehicle on ebay? I did this 4 years ago to sell / buy Harley parts. Paypal pre-approved me for their line of credit (23%) that I was unaware of. When I wired a few hundred from my account, they sent it from their credit line and tried to charge me 23% interest. After an hour on the phone with Paypal they finally "undid" the 23% wire and correctly sent the buyer my money. Once this happened I called to cancel my Paypal account and they wanted a hand written letter of request to close my account with them? I said I am on the phone now with you and am expressing my request to close my account and they denied me. I still have not sent the letter and gave up on ebay because of them. I hope your sale goes well!  :2thumbs:
Wasn't required to join PayPal, did it by choice in the hopes that someone buying from long distance could quickly send my deposit and payment per the time limit terms without having to wait for wire transfers or checks to clear. I will keep in mind what you said for the future though, that sucks! Thanks.

myk

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 11, 2016, 05:03:28 PM
QuoteRallyeMike, good to know, maybe there's hope, but not yet. Just got a message from the 2nd place bidder, he's accusing ME of running up the bid and that's why his bid was so high, and is offering me quite a bit less now! I'll send him some sort of 'Nice Try' message in the morning. Sheesh!, this is getting downright silly! I'll keep trying, it'll happen. Thanks for the input guys.   

Screw him. Just relist it and tell him good luck. Since your winner backed out, you should be able to relist for free.

Hang in there!

Mike I love your car, that thing means business.  Did you fabricate that rear spoiler?

fc7_plumcrazy

I think the paypal requirement is gone since the sold it as a separat company

Carsten

kiwitrev

I am a long term ebay buyer and seller got my superbird from an ebay listing, also my aston DB5 and DB9 have also sold many cars mostly to out of state and out of country. ebay gives a much wider pool of buyers. I started on ebay in 2002 there is a learning curve but I wouldn't go back to pre ebay for finding most of what is out there and the risk of a "bad buyer or seller" is the same as off ebay on ebay I am kiwitrevla with over 440 positive feedback
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

LowDeck451

Kiwitrev, for sure, the exposure of a car on eBay is great compared to the old way. When I sold my Charger in 2002, using my brother's eBay account, the winning bidder stalled for a week and then finally admitted me that he was waiting for a home equity loan to come through, and the bank had denied him part of the money so, he couldn't buy the car. Fortunately, the second place bidder was glad to get the chance to buy it, hopped in his truck/trailer and drove from Nebraska to California and bought it, no problem. My brother has sold a handful of cars over the years and has never had this much trouble (my luck!). Not a big deal, and I really don't want to sound like a whiner but, I just think it's interesting, and it seems like nowadays a lot of the buyers strategy is to win the bid, and then renegotiate price. (my car is only in the $5K range) Also, three of my four so-called 'buyers' have 100% positive ratings. I wonder if past sellers aren't willing to hit them with 'Negative comments', (I didn't either!) so they get away with it. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out there and get some opinions from other like-minded people. Thanks Guys  :cheers:

GOTWING

Here is a problem that I had.. I work with a guy who was selling a old non running car... I gave him what he was asking for it without trying to beat him down, I told him that I was flipping it.... :coolgleamA: also In the last 10 years I have also offered numerous times to list it for him on ebay and he would pay the fees and if he wanted to slip me a $100 bucks that would be fine. So I sell It and it brings a little over $4,000 more then I paid for it and he is pissed with me.  :eek2: AGAIN I offered to list it for him over the last ten years.. :brickwall:

Brock Lee

I had some issues. Both were from dreamers. Both cars in rough shape, more hassle than they were worth.

One guy wins an auction. Puts down the non-refundable deposit. Then can't find a way to transport the car. He can't afford a shipper and doesn't own a truck or trailer. Tell him he has 60 days to get it. Delay after delay, re-sold it a year later. He finds out and wants his deposit back. After figuring out he had no recourse, he opts to go around the internet crying he got ripped off.

Another rough car, guy wins the auction and puts down the deposit. Got excuses for 2 months and told him to get off his ass. Another month or so of excuses and I traded the car. After 8 months he decides he can now come get the car, I told him it was gone. Got phone calls once a day every day for two years looking for a refund of his deposit.