News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LS craze vs other engines

Started by 1974dodgecharger, May 30, 2016, 07:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-440

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 05, 2016, 11:14:19 PM
Quote from: SRT-440 on June 05, 2016, 10:41:14 PM
You can get a 5.3 LS with harness and 4L60E with low milage for $2500. Get a $200 tune and about $300 fuel upgrades and u can put it in anything. Even the motor mounts are adjustable so they will work in any car.

Now, my 6.1 Hemi cost $6K for the engine alone, $3300 FAST XFI 2.0, $700 tti headers, tons of cutting and trimming, $600 fuel system. But, it runs like a new car and is fast..it's rated at 425hp stock and prolly only puts down around 360 rwhp..but runs 12 flat on street tires and gets 23mpg.
5.7 can be had for around $1500 but u sacrifice a little power..but the money u save can be invested in power adders.

hey I think I know you on facebook, lmao... :rofl:
LOL! Indeed.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

RCCDrew

Another line of thinking may be a second gen Cummins. Heavy duty out of the box and able to handle 50 lbs of boost from the factory. 10 second cummins trucks are pretty common.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: RCCDrew on June 06, 2016, 10:30:17 AM
Another line of thinking may be a second gen Cummins. Heavy duty out of the box and able to handle 50 lbs of boost from the factory. 10 second cummins trucks are pretty common.

Handle 50lbs of boost yet missed the boat on a simple concept as a fuel pump. Speaking 24v world. Mounting a pusher pump to act as a suction pump thats adequeate enought to feed a honda civic bad news lol. They should have gone back to the drawing board there.

I have a FASS DDRP mounted in stock location on my 2002 and it can't even adequetly supply the Vp with an edge juice thats not even pump tapped yet......

Mike DC

Do you guys know how much a Cummins weighs?

ws23rt

There is always room for more.---Bigger is better and in some cases one only needs to add wheels to have the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWT2bXKo24

RCCDrew

Mike DC

I'm not thinking about quarter mile performance, I'm thinking about the car's frame collapsing.  

Our old Charger unibodies were designed for 600-800 lbs worth of drivetrain on the front end.  The 24v Cummins engine/tranny combo weighs more like 1300 lbs.  It's like running a 440 with an extra 360 motor piled on top of it.

Sorry to be snarky about it.  It's just that the structural issues, combined with the crazy handling drawbacks that couldn't be solved, and it would still have the inherent costs of swapping any modern engine into an old car . . . it seems like way more trouble than it's worth.  

(But I'm sure some people out there have done it.  People have done everything with popular old cars.)

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 06, 2016, 10:40:39 PM

I'm not thinking about quarter mile performance, I'm thinking about the car's frame collapsing.  

Our old Charger unibodies were designed for 600-800 lbs worth of drivetrain on the front end.  The 24v Cummins engine/tranny combo weighs more like 1300 lbs.  It's like running a 440 with an extra 360 motor piled on top of it.

Sorry to be snarky about it.  It's just that the structural issues, combined with the crazy handling drawbacks that couldn't be solved, and it would still have the inherent costs of swapping any modern engine into an old car . . . it seems like way more trouble than it's worth.  

(But I'm sure some people out there have done it.  People have done everything with popular old cars.)

There was a guy in Vegas he parked near me had a Cummins in his Cuda it was pretty damn cool he drove out blowing coals, lmao...then here I was with a blower belt with oil on it because my oild slung around felt so embarrassed leaving like a dipsht!!!! behind him  :rofl:

Troy

And Cummins are hardly budget in any way. Yes, they are popular enough but nothing anywhere close to LS engines. The 12 valves are simple for the most part but once you go 24 valve you have a whole new set of problems.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

SRT-440

Cant beat LS swaps for performance and being cheap. But, I almost put a Toyota 2JZ twin turbo in my '70 Satellite. Wouldnt have been cheap, but it would have been different and put down around 1500hp-ish.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Troy

Ran across this today in my inbox:
Chevrolet Performance has worked closely with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to secure emissions approval for these high-horsepower, high performance engines. These Chevrolet Performance LS3 6.2L E-Rod crate engines are the first crate engines of their kind to be certified 50-state emissions compliant. With their stunning combination of horsepower and efficiency, these Chevrolet Performance LS3 E-Rod crate engines are perfect for the race track or just cruising around town in your street rod or musclecar.

Features include:
* 6.2L LS3 engine with 430 hp and 425 ft.-lbs. of torque
* Engine wiring harness
* Engine control module with emissions-legal calibration
* Catalytic converters
* Exhaust manifolds
* Oxygen sensors and sensor bosses
* Fuel tank evaporative emissions canister
* Air filter
* MAF sensor
* Accelerator pedal
* Instruction manual

$7,463.97
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19257230

So, basically everything to make it run in your car (except fuel delivery) AND pass emissions in all 50 states. Aluminum block as well. This one is for use with one of their OD automatic transmissions. Here's Chevy's specs:
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/e-rod-ls3.html

Troy

az69b5charger

I have no problem with LS engines. In fact I've been thinking about and researching what it takes to do an LS swap to my 2000 Dakota R/T. The stock and even modded 5.9s are pigs in terms of performance, fuel economy, and money spent vs gains. A 4.8/5.3/6.0 with a cam would destroy anything I could ever do to this 360, be more driveable, would cost half the price, and get better mileage. Screw the closed minded, immature, brand loyal nonsense.
1969 Charger
Factory B5, 440, Automatic

2000 Dakota R/T CC (daily driver)

Troy

Quote from: az69b5charger on July 04, 2016, 10:06:01 PM
I have no problem with LS engines. In fact I've been thinking about and researching what it takes to do an LS swap to my 2000 Dakota R/T. The stock and even modded 5.9s are pigs in terms of performance, fuel economy, and money spent vs gains. A 4.8/5.3/6.0 with a cam would destroy anything I could ever do to this 360, be more driveable, would cost half the price, and get better mileage. Screw the closed minded, immature, brand loyal nonsense.
I have had both a 5.3 Chevy and a 5.9 Magnum. Maybe I haven't done enough research but I don't see that big of a difference (compared to the amount of work/hassle). EXCEPT price. The Magnum engine was one of the reasons I wrote off going to the dealer for parts (the other being my 99 Cummins). When no one else was making parts for Magnums Chrysler decided the smart move would be to quadruple the price on everything (primarily valves, springs, and retainers). I went the other way and bought a set of heads that would take Chevy hardware. Now other places have decided to compete with Chrysler pricing and basically took the market share. But any way, a 5.9 with good heads (even just the Iron Ram versions), exhaust, and intake is no slouch. If that doesn't do it, stroker cranks are cheap! But then you run into the next hurdle which is electronics (assuming you want to keep EFI). Mopar sucks with regards to performance tuning. I guess if you're going to go with MS or some other after market controller then it doesn't matter which engine you put it on - but I'd think the chassis wiring would be less complicated than an LS swap.

But if I was going to go through all that trouble for a pickup truck I'd just sell the Dakota and start with something else.

Troy

HPP

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 30, 2016, 10:55:25 AM
I have 2 LS powered vehicles (never thought I'd say/admit that!) even in stock trim they are the equivalent of a 5.7/6.1 Gen3 HEMI performance wise, the aftermarket support is 1000 fold compared to whats offered for the Gen3 HEMI or any other modern Mopar powerplant, as far as cost to transplant an LS, it'll cost you the same for a Gen3, but you'll find there's very little support for the Gen3 swaps, your on your own in some applications/components along with limited component choices

I have an LS and a 5.7 G3 and my experience is the opposite. The G3 seems far more powerful than the LS in it stock, truck application.  I can certainly remedy that in teh LS department for a couple of grand, I just have got around to it yet.

Love em or hate em, the proliferation of GM power plants and their low cost of entry has always been enviable.