News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New engine start up on test stand - wiring question

Started by DW, May 27, 2016, 04:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

Tomorrow I hope to start up my just built poly stroker for the first time.  It's on a test stand (pics below, because everyone like pics  :icon_smile_big:)  I'm down to the last couple of things, and one is the wiring.  About all I know about electricity is that it shocks me when I'm stupid.  Apparently, I'm stupid a lot.   :o

So I drew up this chart with the way I think it's supposed to be wired.  Can someone who knows what they're doing tell me if this is right?  Obviously I want it to start quickly for cam break in.

Couple of notes:

• I'm using a FireCore Ready to Run distributor.  My understanding is that this does away with the ECU and ballast resistor.  The instructions indicate red to coil positive, orange to coil negative and black to engine ground.
  • The new alternator has the 4 connections shown, but one FLD and the GRD terminals are just threaded holes, no lugs are attached.  I'm assuming it grounds through the mount and I only need one FLD lug.  Some online diagrams show a FLD1 and FLD2.  These are both just marked FLD.

Thanks for any help you can give me.  This is my first build and it's been interesting to say the least.  Not sure a poly stroker was the best choice for my first build, but I've learned a lot!

1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

DW

Forgot to mention the reason I have a question mark on one of the VR lugs is that it's unmarked.  But I'm assuming that goes to a switched ignition source.  Seems to be what I read online anyway.
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.