News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anone do a Magnum swap 5.9 from a 94 Ram.

Started by scatpack69, May 26, 2016, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scatpack69

Swapping one in my 69 Charger.  318 to 360
Tips or advice.  Pics.

ws23rt

This is a great topic to get to the chase about. :2thumbs:

It's not new and I'm sure many have worked through the issues. 

In the old days the question about how does it fit were the obstacles.  Today making it run with the old cars electrical system are the questions that make it a complex conversion for the average wrench turner.

My personal opinion is that the old cars work just great as they were made.  Additions of a mix of what makes cars run today can work but at a cost --and for what gain? :Twocents:

Ryan.C

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forums/magnum-swaps.131/

The A-Body guys do this swap often. I researched this topic quite a bit for the wife's future barracuda project. It does not seem at all difficult and cost effective in my opinion, good luck.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Troy

Love the Magnums! There's a bunch of threads here somewhere but I don't have the time to dig them up right now. I have a 2002 Magnum with low miles sitting in my garage that was destined for a car I sold. I may still use it some day.

Basics:
* You need a car oil pan and pickup. The 5.9 rear main is different than the 318 so you can't reuse the old ones.
* You will need correct motor mounts (or a spacer) for one side.
* It will bolt up directly to a 4-speed. A 727 would be best if using an automatic but you'll need a correctly weighted torque converter.
* The wiring for the EFI can be a pain (or expensive if you just buy a harness). The factory computer isn't really programmable. The factory "beer barrel" intake isn't all that great but does allow for a lot of low end tourque (truck motor) so it does well in a heavy car. Swapping to a carb is stupidly simple - but it means you also need a mechanical fuel pump. The timing cover and accessories from the original 318 will all swap over. You'll need an eccentric to bolt to the front of the cam (or a new cam with the extension).
* There are several articles online about unleashing the power in these motors. Basically headers and an Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a decent carb will get you a long way. A better cam (reground ones are fairly inexpensive) and either Iron Ram or aluminum heads are just that much better. You don't need to touch the bottom end (but if you're rebuilding you might as well buy a stroker crank since they are cheap).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

scatpack69

forgot to mention I am swapping to carb. Should be nice when it's done.

I tried searching on here but noting came up for MAgnum swap

Troy

Quote from: scatpack69 on May 27, 2016, 06:09:38 PM
forgot to mention I am swapping to carb. Should be nice when it's done.

I tried searching on here but noting came up for MAgnum swap
Our search is busted at the moment...

Try this:
https://www.google.com/#q=magnum+5.9+swap+site:dodgecharger.com

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargd72

My magnum block came out of a 96 Ram 2500 HD.  What you need to know before getting started is what heads you will be using.  Magnum or LA style.  The oiling is different to the rockers.  This will also affect your cam.  Some earlier magnum blocks have the proper setup for oiling LA heads.  Mine did so it made the swap simple although I did need to get my cam custom drilled to oil properly.  If you're planning on using magnum heads make sure you get the correct intake as the bolt holes are at a different angle in magnum heads vs LA.   

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

scatpack69

All I am doing is swapping the intake to an ED airgap with a carb and using the distributor from my 318. It had been swapped to electronic long time ago. I want to keep the front as is with the serpentine set up.
The oil pan has been replaced also.

My car is factory AC so I am rebuilding the hvac as well. Only problem is can't find the heater core.

toocheaptosmoke

I used a van power steering pump bracket, I think the truck bracket hits the battery tray.