News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new scat pak

Started by Hard Charger, November 07, 2013, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard Charger

There is a you tube video by Steve Maniente announcing the new scat pak packs available from the factory.

it is available on 5.7 Hemi in the charger, challenger and Dart.(Is the Dart available with a 5.7?)

there are 3 levels available including the following; cold air kit, exhaust and headers, cam swap, heads, new chip

does anyone know what the power gains are or the pricing?

interesting insight for a quick power gain for turning a wrench one week end.

has all been done aftermarket anyway but now you can preserve you warranty.

JB400

The Dart Scat Pack is just an appearance and handling package.  On the Challengers and Chargers, depending on package, you get a cam swap, ported heads, air intake update, cat back exhaust, headers, short throw shifter, brakes, sway bars, adjustable suspension, plus hood pins and badges.

Read more about it here:    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/scat-pack.html

myk

Sounds awesome; AND expensive...

Lord Warlock

They're just adding kits that install most of the add-ons that a majority of us challenger owners have already done.  The exceptions being the updated cam and ported heads, other than that we've been doing most of the upgrades ourselves. Glad to see Dodge finally giving the 5.7 powered cars a little extra power.  Estimates on power added are all speculative so far.  Probably between 400-430hp, they wouldn't want to dig too close to the 392's power level or it would cut into the srt8's territory.  Unless they only offer these after they release the supercharged 6.2L. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

True but I'm glad they are finally doing that.  Between this and giving the codes to a couple of aftermarket sources shows they are finally coming around a bit to the benefits of letting customers modify these newer beasts.

JB400

If they wanted to sell more cars, they more or less had to open their cars up to individual customization.  That's what makes the Mustang so popular.  How else are they going to compete with a car that almost every part can be customized by the aftermarket?

Ghoste

Especially with the price differences.

Cooter

Mustang 5.0 GT...cheap compared to an overweight, and EXPENSIVE SRT8 Challenger...

THAT is why the Mustang kicks Mopars ass.
Bring back the "if you got the dough, we'll put that 6.4 with the 6 speed in that stripper Challenger" days and you'll see sales skyrocket.
Maybe some dont want all that gagetry ontheir Challenger? Maybe some want a cheaper stripper??
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

The factory can strip down options, but dealerships are still gonna leave the prices pretty high and just pocket more of the difference that way.  The dealer will call it "the extra price of a lightweight stripper" instead of "the extra price of more options" when you complain.

The Challenger has a higher-bracket image than the Mustang in the big picture.  That's a big factor in the prices of individual cars.  IMHO they won't get cheap/fast Challengers on the lots in big numbers unless it's a bigger decision on Mopar's part to widen the price/equipment range of the entire model.  

Ghoste

The point about image is significant too.  The Challenger is almost a halo car for Dodge so I can't see them wanting to alter the price point much if they perceive its working in Auburn Hills (or Italy).  Car makers are afraid to take chances (for good reason).
The Mustang on the other hand, while also a halo car for Ford in its own way, provides a lot of volume for them and oddly enough is thought of as a cheap car the msrp range for a Mustang is about 22 to 60k and for the Challenger its 26-45k.
Even the SRT can be had for not a great deal more and if you want be more apples to apples, the Shelby GT500 starts just over 60k.
So which car is really cheaper? 
Its all about image and the Ford is viewed as a dirt cheap car that everyone can afford and the Challenger is seen as an upscale pony.  It may not help that decades of marketing have portrayed the Mustang as cheap where the re-introduction of the Challenger saw a flush of dealer greed take advantage of "I'll pay anything to have it first" buyer stupidity.

myk

Agreed.  Before the first Challenger rolled out of the assembly plant it was already christened a "collector's" car.  Looking at it from another perspective though, I blame the people willing to pay those exorbitant prices, IMO.  Is the Challenger considered a financial success for Chrysler?  If it is, I'm surprised they're changing anything at all, because there are clearly plenty of people around willing to spend the money for the Challenger just the way it sits...

Lord Warlock

Dodge already offers a stripped version of the 392 srt8.  Its called a CORE.  Its priced in the range of an optioned RT (high 30s, low 40s).  Unfortunately it isn't flying off the shelves, they are selling however. The challenger production has increased quite a bit.  The new scat pack packages look promising, just not sure how it will affect overall sales, many RT owners already install upgraded interiors, shifters, exhaust systems and/or hood scoops and add tuners for increased powers.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Cooter

$60k for the stripper I want and it don't even run.

For MY $50k, NOTHING better be 'stripped'....

Like I said, bring back the cheaper musclecar that doesn't have to have National Security come in and 'decode' the computer so I can mess with it..all this for around $30k ....
Not undoable if Chrysler would just listen to the people they are aiming the Challenger SRT 8 at....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on November 11, 2013, 07:53:27 AM
$60k for the stripper I want and it don't even run.

For MY $50k, NOTHING better be 'stripped'....

Like I said, bring back the cheaper musclecar that doesn't have to have National Security come in and 'decode' the computer so I can mess with it..all this for around $30k ....
Not undoable if Chrysler would just listen to the people they are aiming the Challenger SRT 8 at....

very true.....

Lord Warlock

Really depends on what you mean by "doesn't run"  the new core or srt8 is capable of mid 12s in the quarter, an RT is already available in forms that run low 13s.  My old 69 never ran mid 13s that i'm aware of, and certainly never broke into the 12s, and i still thought it was fast as hell when i drove it.  I think many have fairly unrealistic expectations of what a 4100lb car ought to run and still be considered fast.  My RT feels fast, although it isn't as fast as the cobra i had before it.  Despite the mustang being a little quicker, there is a hands down difference in driver comfort and how it feels on the road compared to a mustang.  I was willing to give up a half second of performance in favor of a comfortable ride as well as a car that gets compliments every time i drive it.  I never got half the comments in the svt cobra that i do in my RT. 

I'd like to supercharge it, but the cost of doing so would cost me abotu 1/3 as much as i spent on the car to start with, thats alot just to get an extra second in the quarter. 

JB400

I know it's easy to compare the numbers, but I don't consider quarter mile times quite fair when our beloved cars were new.  Tires held these cars back a little bit.  I also don't consider the magazine times adequate either.  Manufacturers put in hotter cams and done some tuning on them before handing them over to the magazines.

myk

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 12, 2013, 12:53:48 AM
Really depends on what you mean by "doesn't run"  the new core or srt8 is capable of mid 12s in the quarter, an RT is already available in forms that run low 13s.  My old 69 never ran mid 13s that i'm aware of, and certainly never broke into the 12s, and i still thought it was fast as hell when i drove it.  I think many have fairly unrealistic expectations of what a 4100lb car ought to run and still be considered fast.  My RT feels fast, although it isn't as fast as the cobra i had before it.  Despite the mustang being a little quicker, there is a hands down difference in driver comfort and how it feels on the road compared to a mustang.  I was willing to give up a half second of performance in favor of a comfortable ride as well as a car that gets compliments every time i drive it.  I never got half the comments in the svt cobra that i do in my RT. 

I'd like to supercharge it, but the cost of doing so would cost me abotu 1/3 as much as i spent on the car to start with, thats alot just to get an extra second in the quarter. 

Personally, I'd take the Cobra over the Challenger, but I have a soft spot for Cobra's.  If I could get a '98 in oxford white or yellow I'd be that much happier...