News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PST front end rebuild kit any good?

Started by bull, September 24, 2009, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

This front end rebuild super kit put together by PST looks to be pretty complete and well-priced at $379 and is shipped for free but I'd like a couple reviews if possible before I drop cash. If you used one was it of good quality? What was your overall impression?.

http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-1815-157-dodge-charger-1966-76.aspx

Rolling_Thunder

Awesome kit - used them on almost every car I have done- great kit and reasonably priced.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mikesbbody

bull

CB

I used it on my ex-charger. Good parts.
Now all MOOG parts/poly bushings from Energy Suspension going in the frontend.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Quote from: CB on September 25, 2009, 12:49:30 AM

Why? Why not PST again? Is it a poly vs. rubber thing?

tan top

yep used PST  poly graphite , on mine  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HPP

I prefer the PST poly over Prothane or Energy Suspension simply because I've never had any of their stuff sqeak.

mopar0166

EXCELLENT!  is the best description i have for you , those guys will take care of you and it shouldn't kill your wallet too bad! :cheers:  :cheers:

CB

Quote from: bull on September 25, 2009, 01:32:57 AM
Quote from: CB on September 25, 2009, 12:49:30 AM

Why? Why not PST again? Is it a poly vs. rubber thing?

No Bull, simply because I had to buy parts with a gift certificate (from a certain Mopar Shop) and urgently needed front end parts. It came as a kit with MOOG & E.S. parts. What's not included is the LCA rubber and pitman arm ::)
A tip from Steve P:
If you are replacing your inner and outer tie rods and sleeves I would go to "C" body. They measure out the same, but are thicker and can take more abuse
...which I knew too late :brickwall:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

I don't understand why anyone would need a new pitman or idler arm anyway unless their's is pretty messed up or if they are going to a fast ratio setup.

Quote from: CB on September 25, 2009, 10:43:11 AM

A tip from Steve P:
If you are replacing your inner and outer tie rods and sleeves I would go to "C" body. They measure out the same, but are thicker and can take more abuse

Not to mention they're each about $25 cheaper than the B-body tie rod ends through Napa. :o

CB

It all started when the car inspection didn't pass my Charger. Reason: bad steering linkages.
I am replacing the arm so the car inspection can't send me back because they feel like it.

When most other 'suspension' rubbers and boots looked worn out it was time for a Total rebuild, everything new.  :coolgleamA:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Fitz73Chrgr

Any updates on the performance of this kit after years of use?

Are there any competing front end rebuild kits that I should consider?

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

HPP

Quote from: CB on September 25, 2009, 10:43:11 AM

...which I knew too late :brickwall:
CB

Which is great if you are building an oval track car that gets leaned on regularly. For a regular driver, the 9/16 tie rod ends are capable of 7Gs worth of loading.  I haven't seen a mopar yet capable of that kind of cornering that would require the 11/16 tie rod ends. Now the full length split sleeve, yea, you would do good to replace those with a solid  sleeve.

Chargen69

I replaced my pitman arm because I replaced everything.

that stupid thing was $179

Dino

Thanks for briging up the tie rods and sleeves. I haven't yet decided on which ones to use. It's a street car so the 9/16 rods would be fine but I'd like to get the solid sleeves. That said, would it hurt to install the 11/16 stuff?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lennard

It wouldn't hurt...it would just be overkill.

Dino

In other words, go with what is cheapest!   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lennard

I don't know if the 11/16 ones are more expensive than the 9/16 ones. I bought the PST super kit for both of my Chargers and it had the regular 9/16 tie rod ends, which are beefy enough for normal street driving.

HPP

Either or, IMO. I've seen where some places offer upgrade kits of 11/16 end and sleeves for just the price of 9/16 ends. Shop around, see what you find.

Highbanked Hauler

So  C  body tie rods are larger diameter ? ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

JR

Just jumping in to say I installed the polyurethane PST kit around 10 years and 20k miles ago and it's held up fantastic. The bushings still look and function like new.

Would buy from them again.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Lennard

Quote from: JR on December 15, 2016, 02:37:56 AM
Just jumping in to say I installed the polyurethane PST kit around 10 years and 20k miles ago and it's held up fantastic. The bushings still look and function like new.

Would buy from them again.
Good to hear, because I bought that kit for both my Chargers. :thumbs:

HPP

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 14, 2016, 08:48:31 PM
  So  C  body tie rods are larger diameter ? ?

Yes, 11/16 vs 9/16. However, the taper on the joint ends are identical so they can be interchanged easily.