News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do big engines like cool & wet?

Started by lloyd3, May 18, 2016, 02:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

I've driven the car a couple of times since the suspension repair last week and I noticed lots of good things. No clanking and banging when I go over bumps, noticeably better handling overall (surprise!) and....the cooler (& wet) weather of late really seems to make this old stock block very happy.  I used to notice this back in the "old days" as well. Cooler spring and fall weather made for a noticeable uptick in performance on my various big-block cars.

Is the answer obvious or is there more to it? You wouldn't think just a few degrees and a little humidity would make such a noticeable difference. It never seemed to be a factor on any other cars that I've owned & driven, just my muscle cars. 

Cncguy

Because in cool weather the fuel has more time to reach the cylinders before it vaporizes?

Alaskan_TA

Cooler air is denser than warm air, so it aids with combustion.

Lennard

An engine is a big air pump.  Cooler air is denser than warm air so more air fits in the cylinders and more air and more fuel = more power.

myk

Driving at night it's like a different car...

cbrestorations

Turbo cars are pretty Consistent, turbo just has to work a little harder in the heat

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

lloyd3

I think Lennard did nail it, but I was wondering if the humidity was a factor as well. We're normally pretty dry out here, and on the rare occasions when the roads are dry but the air is damp(!) it seems to help a little too.  Sort of like how water injection helps with controlling flame-front propagation?

Chargerguy74

That's interesting. Water can expand in volume 1700 times when it flashes to steam.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

68X426

What happens to steam engines on a hot humid day?  :scratchchin:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

6spd68

Quote from: myk on May 18, 2016, 09:49:21 PM
Driving at night it's like a different car...

Is there really a better time to drive a nice/fast car?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."