News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Universal Technical Institute (UTI) feedback wanted

Started by 66FBCharger, May 18, 2016, 06:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

My son is interested in attending UTI (in Mass.) for auto mechanics.
I am looking for reviews and tips about attending UTI. Is it worth the money? Was the course thorough? Are the classes basic or more advanced? Anything you have to say about UTI, I would like to hear it.
Thanks.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

1974dodgecharger

no, the stuff you learn he can learn first hand without schooling.  Had multiple friends graduate from there with extremely high debts and work at sears auto center or various auto centers of different people.  When in reality they could of just applied at sears and say, 'yes I have rebuilt this, done that, worked on this car, etc' and got the job without the debt and still learn.

Though for everyone I know someone will come on here and this one person was a success and say, 'I work for John Force as a engine rebuilder in between his drag races'

Derwud

Basic UTI is a waste of time.

You have to qualify for for the Manufacture programs to learn anything. I would suggest the BMW or VW programs. Some dealers do offer tuition assistance if hired after graduation.

Over all, a waste of money, but in some cases, the only way you will get in to some of the elite dealers.

Do you have have Community Colleges in your area that have Automotive programs?

PM me if you want more info..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

JR

Every shop I've ever worked for has a ton of names for UTI graduates.

"Unirary Track Infections" .

Or my personal favorite, "Under Trained Idiots".

We had a UTI guy briefly at the dealer I used to work for, guy couldn't be trusted to put a car on a lift, or tighten an oil pan drain plug.

Here's an excerpt from a Forbes article on UTI.

"While UTI likes to trumpet its 80% job placement rate, it is difficult for students pay off loans of almost $50,000 for tuition and living costs on an entry-level mechanic's salary. Investors impressed by UTI's job placement rates need also to look at the quality of the jobs the graduates are getting. In other words, UTI is making money while its graduates are, too often, unable to pay for the inadequate education they received."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/01/15/danger-zone-universal-technical-institute-uti/#7e01b3ac2bba

I consider UTI to be equivalent to a standard community college trade school education. Only difference is, UTI spends more on marketing. (Which you pay for in higher tuition costs.)

I'd encourage him to look elsewhere.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Ponch ®

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 18, 2016, 06:51:01 AM
My son is interested in attending UTI (in Mass.) for auto mechanics.
I am looking for reviews and tips about attending UTI. Is it worth the money? Was the course thorough? Are the classes basic or more advanced? Anything you have to say about UTI, I would like to hear it.
Thanks.

Any community colleges in your area? If so, look into those first.  Some have decent automotive programs where you can get certified in everything from engines to suspension to a/c and so on - plus you get the benefit of a general education in case you wanna change careers or keep going to school later. They're a lot cheaper than those for profit schools and and the piece of paper you get is just as good when looking for a job.

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it  ;D
Quote from: Derwud on May 18, 2016, 07:40:41 AM

Do you have have Community Colleges in your area that have Automotive programs?

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West