News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum readings

Started by Alan73Charger, May 12, 2016, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Hey guys,

I found this site very helpful so wanted to share it.  It does a great job of explaining what the different readings you might see on your vacuum gauge mean.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Here is a video of mine.  It has a shake at 14-15 inches which according to scenario 3 would be normal for an engine with a higher lift cam.

http://vid1051.photobucket.com/albums/s431/cabsclassics/1973%20Dodge%20Charger/IMG_6178_zpsdtdjsg6m.mp4

Anyone have any input on this?  

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

CRW-FK5

Great read.  Very helpful.  Thanks for posting.

66FBCharger

That is a great article. I'll have to put a vacuum gauge on to see how my engine is doing.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Alan73Charger

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 13, 2016, 11:59:50 AM
That is a great article. I'll have to put a vacuum gauge on to see how my engine is doing.

Glad you found it as useful as I did CRW and 66FB.  I loved how the article gave six different scenario's for abnormal readings and explained what each reading meant.  Hopefully your results fall into the first three "healthy engine" scenario's.

redgum78

CRW-FK5

Quote from: Alan73Charger on May 13, 2016, 01:39:20 PM

Glad you found it as useful as I did CRW and 66FB.  I loved how the article gave six different scenario's for abnormal readings and explained what each reading meant.  Hopefully your results fall into the first three "healthy engine" scenario's.
This was very good timing.  Used it today already, as I've been fighting a rough condition with my '70 (other thread posting).  For idle, I'm steady at 10", but I do have a somewhat radical cam so that would contribute to some of that.

I've had the gauge for some time but really never knew how to diagnose with it until now.  Thanks, again.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on May 13, 2016, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on May 13, 2016, 01:39:20 PM

Glad you found it as useful as I did CRW and 66FB.  I loved how the article gave six different scenario's for abnormal readings and explained what each reading meant.  Hopefully your results fall into the first three "healthy engine" scenario's.
This was very good timing.  Used it today already, as I've been fighting a rough condition with my '70 (other thread posting).  For idle, I'm steady at 10", but I do have a somewhat radical cam so that would contribute to some of that.

I've had the gauge for some time but really never knew how to diagnose with it until now.  Thanks, again.

Sounds like it was great timing.  You can play with the idle mixture screws a bit while it's hooked up and try to find a smooth idle at a higher vacuum.  When you've gone to far one direction you'll see the vacuum drop as the engine runs worse.  Just go back the other way and look for that "sweet spot"

poppa

Good info , thanks. Saved to my favorites.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.