News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona or Charger hood insulation

Started by mybluebird, May 01, 2016, 09:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybluebird

Does anyone know if the original installation was molded to fit the contours of the bottom of the hood or if it was flat or if they came both ways? I have spent hours making phone calls and trying to find pictures on the internet, I have contacted one person with a original car that is the original owner of a 1969 Charger that says it is flat and always has been and I have contacted people that say it is molded and have low mileage cars to prove that as well. Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of a hood of a unmolested/restored car that can prove it one way or another so I know what to put on my Daytona? I have spoke to people that have looked at or own low mileage original cars that have said it to be both ways. I suppose a 1969 B body picture would be sufficient. But I am trying to put in the right stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if Chrysler had more than one supplier and they were both ways. Any help and pictures would be very appreciated!

Stevearino

I don't know about the originals but I just purchased a reproduction and it is flat.

mybluebird

I don't see why a 70 would be any different then a 68 or 69 as far as it being molded, they are a different pattern however since the Daytonas were made slightly differently I was told that when creative industries did them the insulation was slightly different. I would love to see a picture of a original to see how to take a flat one and mold it a bit to make it as close as I can. I won't mention any names but the wingnut that claims to have proof won't send me any pictures.

You know who you are and I can't wait for you to read this HAHAHA

41husk

I thought it was a large one piece molding not the soft fordable pad.  I am interested as well for my 500
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

birdsandbees

Quote from: Stevearino on May 06, 2016, 08:32:10 PM
This is for a 68 or 69 but I don't know about the 70 style hood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-Dodge-Charger-RIGID-FIBER-MOLDED-HOOD-INSULATION-PAD-w-CLIPS-68-69-/131778634954?hash=item1eae9e64ca:m:mfpivmdvdEnICJe8QAmdqEg&vxp=mtr

That's the outfit I bought my '70 Bird hood pad from for correctness. Just be aware, while they state that they include the "clips"... they are not the correct metal clips but plastic ones. I little "pickle" I had with them after all the chest beating about how theirs was correct and the competition was not. That and the fact that they can't be bothered to ship to Canada and I had to get my buddy in Thunder Bay to drive over to Deluth, pick it up and reship it to me.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

1969 R/T SE

i need one for my charger se rt, i just painted the underside of the hood. original paint on the outside but restored on the inside and underside

69bfan

If you are looking to put a molded hood pad onto a 69 Daytona, you will want to go with the 70 B-Body molded hood pad.  A 69 Charger 500 will take the regular 68 to 69 style molded pad.  The Super Bird will take the 70 style molded pad.  Molded hood pads for the B-Bodies are specific to 66 to 67, 68 to 69,  70 only and 71 to 74 B-Body.  I strongly suggest using your original clips or find good original hood pad clips.  I have yet to find a reproduction hood pad clip that fits properly.  Most have the mounting prongs too spread out which makes it almost impossible to push them in or if they do go in, they will pop back out.  Otherwise I believe that the molded hood pads do look much better than the more generic yellow fiberglass pads.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

mybluebird

Thanks for all the tips guys. In my research I have found that the majority of the cars that came with hood insulation came with molded hood insulation, being any body type. I have spoke with one original owner of a 1969 charger who claimed his car had a flat pad in it originally and that is what he chose to replace it with. I have seen 2 6,000 original mile cars that have molded.  However in my research it appears that the 69 Daytona got a different hood pad than a regular molded hood pad that the other cars got due to creative industries being the ones that modified the cars. I may have found a source for the correct style for a Daytona. If I get anywhere with it I'll inform. Thanks again.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Was sent the photo below by FJMG - just passing this along: 

Quote from: FJMG
I am sending you a pic of an old photo I took at a car show in 1987 of a 6900 mile Daytona.

:cheers:

odcics2

Quote from: hemigeno on May 13, 2016, 11:58:42 AM
Was sent the photo below by FJMG - just passing this along: 

Quote from: FJMG
I am sending you a pic of an old photo I took at a car show in 1987 of a 6900 mile Daytona.

:cheers:

Nice to see an original.
That ebay repop is NOT correct, at all...   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?