News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about superbird window sticker

Started by chaaargerb, May 09, 2016, 06:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbird

Walter Miller Auto Literature, a seller on e-bay, sells a color picture of the Vit-C Superbird in a more head on view at the 1970 NY Auto Show. I believe the B&W picture of the car shown in a post earlier in this thread is from the REV web site. I believe the REV site also has several other pictures of the 1970 C/P display at the 1970 NY Auto Show.

I have seen a number of pictures of the Vit-C Superbird at the 1970 Detroit, Chicago, and NY Auto Shows. I believe the same car was used for these 3 shows. Several years ago someone asserted on this site or Moparts that a friend of theirs owned the real car used in the 3 shows and that the car used in the 3 shows was sold after the NY show in the NY area. At the time, a couple of years ago, one of the attachments to that thread were 2 pictures of a Vit-C car in a warehouse type building supposedly in the NY area.

Several years ago there were (2) 8x10 pictures for sale on e-bay of the Vit-C car on display at the 1970 Detroit auto show (which took place in November of 1969). These 2 pictures show details of the car there. I was lucky enough to buy one of them, the picture that was cropped and I believe was used in the November 25th 1969 issue of the Detroit News. It is one of those pictures sold by one of the services disposing of old newspaper photographs stating that it was sold for personal use only and transferred no rights to publish it, so please don't ask me to post it here. On the back is a copy of the article it was attached to, talking about Lucius Slade, the 25 year old winner of a Superbird-just like this one, being given the keys, and his girlfriend of 3 months, the 22 year old Linda Watkins a directory assistance operator at Michigan Bell sitting in the car. My picture shows the passenger side including all the pass. side rear wheelwell details. The other picture, that I did not get, shows the driver side including the door sticker placement.

The base that the Superbird was on for the (3) 1970 shows was the same one used for the Sox & Martin car at the 1969 Detroit Auto show (Nov 1968), and the Duster 1 (Beep Beep X-1(I'm drawing a blank on the exact second name for the Duster 1, I don't know where I have the pictures of it in 1970)) at the 1969 Chicago and 1969 NY auto shows. The base was used at other shows up until at least the 1972 Chicago Auto Show for displaying other cars.

I have got to believe that the Vit-C Superbird used at the 1970 shows was a specially prepped car.

Another special Vit-C car was the car used on the cover of Stock Car Racing Magazine in 1970. That car seems to be photographed at the same time frame the White car used in the promo photos was also photographed at. I would wager a guess that the Vit-C car on the cover of Stock Car Racing Magazine and the White car in the promo pictures were 2 of the 5 pilot Superbirds built before the production run cars started.

nascarxx29

Rev library great site for archive.  Pics.            https://revslib.stanford.edu
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Redbird

Here are 2 pictures posted on line where someone previously has asserted that this is the car used in the auto shows. If this is or is not the auto show car I have no idea.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

6bblgt

Here's another Google image of the New York Auto Show Superbird; yes the above black & white pic is from the Revs Institute collection and shows a 4/5/70 date & appears to have been taken during set-up for the show (tape on carpet for placement of the AAR)?  It shows it on the raised-lit platform that would be part of the travelling show.

Is there something about the window sticker that shows T.R.Nicoletti was  a  "regional sales manager" or was that a guess?

I figured the timing and apparent short term usage (less than 3 months) of the car by T.R.Nicoletti during the time of the NY show - showed some intent for the car other than a simple "driver".  :shruggy:

Redbird

Not relievement to discussion of the Superbird, but having to do with discussion of the 1970 NY auto show; the yellow background with the explosion graphic behind the Superbird that was used in 1970 in NY was not the same graphic used in Detroit and Chicago. The floor to floor height of the NY Coliseum was much less than the Detroit and Chicago venues, so a more compact background had to be made for NY. One can see it in the Walter Miller photo.

I do believe the Superbird used in Detroit, Chicago, and NY was one singular car.

Redbird

Something else about the platform/base that I have wondered about. When it was used for the Superbird and Sox & Martin car, the cups holding the wheels would have been the same wheelbase. However when the Duster 1 and 1972 Sox & Martin car were on the platform/base wheelbases were different, so there must have been some rebuilding or modifying of it between shows.

I believe the platform/base was also modified between the 1969 Chicago and 1969 NY shows when the Duster 1 was on it. I have some pictures and written descriptions from Ford about the Plymouth display saying this.

A further note on the platform/base. In the time period of the muscle car era, car manufacturers would build scale dioramas of their proposed display for specific shows using plastic promo models. These dioramas were huge. The 1969 diorama for the 1969 Chicago Auto Show had a model of the proposed platform/base, including the proposed background piece that Steven Juliano currently has 1/2 of the real one in his collection.

The 1969 Chicago diorama was actually motorized, so promo car models on the diorama would rotate just like the actual display. It was very cool.

Redbird

Here is a picture of the March 1970 issue of Stock Car Racing Magazine currently listed on e-bay if someone is interested in buying it, not my listing. I believe inside the issue it says where the picture was taken. I would think the picture was talen well in advance of the March 1970 cover date,

chaaargerb

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 12, 2016, 12:04:23 PM
was there something about the window sticker that shows T.R.Nicoletti was  a  "regional sales manager" or was that a guess?

I figured the timing and apparent short term usage (less than 3 months) of the car by T.R.Nicoletti during the time of the NY show - showed some intent for the car other than a simple "driver".  :shruggy:

I believe that was a theory. I don't know if they used it for some other promotional things or the guy maybe wanted to make sure they had one to show during the auto show. Did they have any NASCAR races in New York around that time frame? I know I've been to different sports events and the car dealers would set up a display by the entrance.

thehemikid

Quote from: Redbird on May 12, 2016, 01:10:59 PM
Here is a picture of the March 1970 issue of Stock Car Racing Magazine currently listed on e-bay if someone is interested in buying it, not my listing. I believe inside the issue it says where the picture was taken. I would think the picture was talen well in advance of the March 1970 cover date,

I have one in better condition, will look and see.

Edit: Sorry my hand moved a little.

Arnie Cunningham

Hey All,
My site should be back up.  The credit cards I had on file for auto renewal had expired.  Glad I read this post.  The email got lost in my in box with all the junk lol.
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Aero426

Photo of the car being discussed when it was owned by Ray Bussi, Flushing NY, mid 1980's.