News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stuck Rings

Started by JHolslin, June 16, 2016, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHolslin

any product I can soak my pistons in the Cylinders to free up 20 year old pistons and ring.
I've heard Diesel of Marvel mystery oil?
Thanks for any input.

myk

I've heard of people squirting Marvel Mystery into the cylinders and soaking for a day or so, and then trying to hand rotate the motor.   Good luck....

71 SE3834V

Rings stuck to the cylinder walls or rings stuck in the pistons due to carbon buildup?
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

JHolslin

the motor turns, so in the piston. I just want to get it running for now. I eventually ill pull the block but not now

funknut

I've never used it but have friends that swear by GM Top Engine Cleaner.

Does it run?  A lot of these products require/suggest getting the engine to operating temperature in order for them to be effective.

71 SE3834V

Do you have low compression and was it sitting for a long time? Could be from no oil on the cylinder walls not sealing the rings.
I once had a car that had an engine compartment fire. Fire dept. put water down the carb just in case. I replaced all burnt parts under the hood, changed the oil and tried to start. Low compression, oil washed off the walls. Put a little oil down the cylinders and turned it over. Put plugs back in and it fired up. The kids drove that car for a few years before going off to college.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V