News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi swap

Started by Tmb84, May 04, 2016, 04:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tmb84

Hi

I got a 70' Charger 383 2bbl, fitted with a original carter 4bbl. Rest of the engine i think is stock.
When this engine got tired i thinking to put a 426 hemi crate in there.

Is the job straight forward? Can i use the original 727 tranny?

70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

BLK 68 R/T

Yes, it is a pretty straight forward swap, your original transmission will work. You will need a new flexplate as the hemi uses an 8 bolt crank instead of the 6 bolt crank. Also will probably want to change the torque converter to something with a little more stall speed, what you are doing with the car as far as driving style, what cam the engine has and rear end tire size/gear ratio will factor in to what torque converter you will want to use. This place http://www.engine-swaps.com/ makes engine mounts that will allow you to bolt a hemi engine in place of a big block without having to change the k-member. You will also need new exhaust manifolds or headers and the front head pipes will need replaced to bolt up. And if your car currently has power brakes you will need to get the booster relocation brackets or go to manual brakes as the valve cover will not clear the booster.

303 Mopar

You will also need to change the firewall if you car has A/C since there was no A/C offered with Hemi engines.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

ws23rt

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 04, 2016, 11:28:51 AM
You will also need to change the firewall if you car has A/C since there was no A/C offered with Hemi engines.

An AC firewall will cause no interference with the hemi engine.

303 Mopar

Quote from: ws23rt on May 04, 2016, 11:35:39 AM

I heard that a Hemi engine will interfere with the protruding connections sticking out of a firewall, but I have not done a Hemi swap so could be wrong.   :shruggy:

Tmb84

My car has no A/C and the booster is taken out, dont know why..
It got disc brakes, so it stops pretty good. What about fuel lines?
70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

BLK 68 R/T

You will want to upgrade to at least a 3/8" fuel line.

303 Mopar

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on May 04, 2016, 04:00:10 PM
You will want to upgrade to at least a 3/8" fuel line.

And this is a great time to add a return line if you don't have one already.

ws23rt

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 04, 2016, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on May 04, 2016, 11:35:39 AM

I heard that a Hemi engine will interfere with the protruding connections sticking out of a firewall, but I have not done a Hemi swap so could be wrong.   :shruggy:

Thanks for that reminder. :2thumbs:
The heat tubes for the intake manifold as well as the valve covers make that a tight place indeed.
I have not heard about this particular issue before and was thinking only about the firewall itself. :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Tmb84 on May 04, 2016, 04:36:31 AM
Hi

I got a 70' Charger 383 2bbl, fitted with a original carter 4bbl. Rest of the engine i think is stock.
When this engine got tired i thinking to put a 426 hemi crate in there.

Is the job straight forward?

First stop should be the bank.

You'll need somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $30,000 + to pull this off.  :Twocents: