News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C compressor vs clutch problem

Started by timmycharger, April 23, 2016, 07:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

This is on my daily driver 2000 Chrysler 300m.  The engine would squeal for weeks when the a\c was turned on until the separate v belt snapped.  I replaced the belt and the a/c worked for a short time until snapping the new belt.  Is this a ac clutch issue or is it the compressor. Or something else?  With the belt removed,  how easily should the compressor turn. The clutch spins very easily but im sure it is supposed to until you click on the ac. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John_Kunkel

With the belt removed, the compressor pulley should spin freely but the compressor itself doesn't spin until the clutch is engaged by the control panel.

Belt slip on initial engagement is usually caused by the compressor "slugging" (trying to pump liquid instead of gas). This device might help:

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93641/strike-out-compressor-slugging-with-four-seasons-deslugger
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Baldwinvette77

Desluggers are awesome!, but usually only affect cars where the compressor is the lowest part of the system and the lines run vertically down to it,

like it was mentioned before, with the belt off see if the compressor engages and disengages and try to rotate it, have someone press the a/c button in the car and look to see if the clutch engages and see if it spins as a unit

timmycharger

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback