News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remote oil filter location

Started by GTX, May 13, 2006, 11:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hey guys I was wondering, I have one of those fram dual filter remote setups and I mounted it up under my fender about at the height where the battery used to be. I'm wondering though, since this is higher than the oil pump is this likely to cause cavitation on the output side of the pump?
I'm not really sure where else I can mount the filters where they won't get banged around if they are lower than the pump.

Don't wanna hurt my motor!

Blown70

I have heard differing opionions on this with mine.  Mine has to be move with the Hemi.  I know some have said it can only be so high,  But maybe they were HIGH?

I have been told the battery area on a stock car was fine. Can you not mount them just below that spot on the frame?  Or do they not fit there.

Tom

GTX

I could mount it lower on the frame area I guess but again, I'm afraid of getting it too low near the ground with them mounted vertically. I'm afraid of have the bottoms of the filters very close to the ground. I've also got my suspension set for a semi low stance in the front already.
Also, I'm really hesitant to make any new holes especially in the frame but I found that the filter setup mounts pretty nicely where it is. It's tucked up and away from the tire and most debri, it's away from pretty much anything that would knock the filters and the bolts line up with existing holes where the battery tray etc already were.
Over all I thought it was a rather slick location, you can just barely see them inside the inner fender, very easy to reach for oil changes, not on an angle as it would be if it were on the inside of the compartment and doesn't clutter up the already very crowded engine compartment, it's where it gets some air cross flow for a little cooling benefit and it's not near the radiator where I have no room at all.  I didn't like the idea of mounting it inside the engine bay due to header heat and also my vacuum can takes up most of the available space there.

The cavitation fear is my biggest hang up.

Right now the setup is not connected but I'm going out this afternoon to do an oil change and 10 quarts of Royal Purple is expensive and so is the engine. I don't want to do this again, maybe I'll leave it as it is for now until I can get some more info.

Funny, I've seen the remote filters mounted high before, maybe they eventually damaged their motors??

d72hemi

What is the advantage of running a dual oil fiter set up? Run both a "normal" and "fine" filtering filter?

GTX

Yeah, I think better filtration is always a plus and I also like the ability to get the oil filter(s) further away from the engine and thus a bit cooler oil\engine. With the heat the blower makes I wanted anything I could do to make the car run a little cooler.
I also like having the filters mounted vertically so they are easier to change than the standard horizontal on big blocks where the K frame always gets to catch some oil when you take the filter off. I seem to remember the small blocks are mounted vertically in the back aren't they?

I'm just lazy!

I could be all wrong on all of this and I'd love to hear Ron or Chryco et al weigh in on these ideas and also the cavitation issue.

TylerCharger69

I have my dual oil filter system on the passenger side...opposite the battery...i.e....battery on drivers side, oil system on the passenger side, and my hoses are running down and around the front of my radiator, and then back to the front of the oil pump....this much hose required another quart of oil.....Stock....5 quarts....dual filters.....6 quarts....add the hoses....7 quarts.  Only place I could see to mount it to where it is easily accessible.

74340charger

my car had the radiator mount cut and bent down on the passenger side. I really didn't appreciate it, but it worked good because the lines were tucked into the fender and the filters were right in the air flow on the side of the radiator from the grill.

Chryco Psycho

I don`t see a problem with this , cavitation shoul;d happen in the pan from the pump out it is all forced pressure , out to the filters & back into the block , you have 2 sets of openings in & out of the filters & more than 2 X the surface area in each filter so flow should be easier

GTX

Thank you, that was pretty much my thinking as well except that I was thinking that even if there were a problem, a high volume pump should have plenty of pressure to overcome it. Still, I read something a while back about the possiblity and possible subsequent damage to the engine.
They seemed to feel that it would cavitate under increased pressure???
That's the part I got lost on, I know that via fluid dynamics a prop on a boat will cause cavitation under pressure but I don't see how a sealed line can.  ???

As it turns out I lost the small 'O' ring that seals the plate to the pump and so I couldn't connect the setup today. In fact, it was the day from hell where a simple oil change went all wrong and took me all afternoon.
It began when I forgot to remove the plug from the valley of the oil container I was draining into and I dumped 8 qts of oil all over my driveway when the valley overflowed. Yes folks, that's 2 gallons of oil on my driveway and I really did look that stupid!

Some days it just doesn't pay to even get started, thank God for kitty litter!!

Sing along with me...... 'If I only had a brain....'

dodge freak

Paint thinner works great, pour some on the stain when the sun is on it. I hate changing my filter too, but its only twice a year so I just do it and forget about it. I use K & N oil filter. Look in the stores today at the oil filter wench's, they have all different types and some are very good.

Chryco Psycho

make sure you have lots of oil in the pan if you use a High Volume pump  ,I like 7-8qts minimum

mopar0166

ANY pics,  great ideas on mounting spots

myk

Damn I can't even remember 2006, or what my car was like back then....

mopar0166

what good is having forum history and search feature if you don't use it

mopar0166

ok decided last night, it will be mounted inside the drivers fender behind the battery.  looks good easy access, tons of clearance for wheel etc.