News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BK Automotive - Any Good?

Started by Carlwalski, April 12, 2006, 10:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlwalski

I have emailed BK Automotive and asked them to create me a General Lee.
The prices are "OK"  and their cars look good but thought I'd ask you guys first.  :icon_smile_wink:

Does anyone know their cars? Are they any good? They mostly build TV cars but do all sorts.....
If anyone has some feedback, good or bad please let me know.

Their site: www.bkauto.net

I would either go them or Smith Brothers but Smith Bros has a 25 month waiting list..... :icon_smile_dead:
I'd rather wait for one on eBay. lol

Thanks for any help.  :yesnod:

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Blown70

Hey NZ

I have spoken to them on the phone... You will pay for what you are getting.  They were helpful but realize this is how they make a living.

BTW... Sure you do not want to start with this one.....

Carlwalski

Hey  :icon_smile_wink:

LOL!! Ummmm, no thanks...I'll give that one a miss!!  :icon_smile_big:

I don't mind paying that little bit extra just as long as I can see it in their work.
I will get my General lee, I will. lol  :yesnod: Tan interior, 15x8.5's....she'll be a good one.....

I'll wait for Bkauto to reply back again, I've asked for some photos of their GL's....

Cheers,
Carl

(ps:  Do you know why my photos aren't showing up?
The boards photos aren't showing, my sig, avatar, your photo (I had to load it) aren't showing....??? )

Blown70

Quote from: NZ440R/T on April 12, 2006, 10:27:42 AM

Hey  :icon_smile_wink:

LOL!! Ummmm, no thanks...I'll give that one a miss!!  :icon_smile_big:

I don't mind paying that little bit extra just as long as I can see it in their work.
I will get my General lee, I will. lol  :yesnod: Tan interior, 15x8.5's....she'll be a good one.....

I'll wait for Bkauto to reply back again, I've asked for some photos of their GL's....

Cheers,
Carl

(ps:  Do you know why my photos aren't showing up?
The boards photos aren't showing, my sig, avatar, your photo (I had to load it) aren't showing....??? )

Carl,

Not sure I am no computer expert.  Yea, the one above is a good parts car.  and good parts she does.  She was upside down for a long time so the frame is mint!!! 

I forget who I spoke with at BK, but they were very helpful and I was not doing business with them

Good luck

Tom

Carlwalski

Thanks Tom, I'll need all the luck I can get. I am 0 and 5 with Chargers.  :-[
This being the 6th if I look into getting one....6th time lucky? lol

Cheers mate.  :icon_smile_wink:

BigBlockSam

good luck with your project. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Carlwalski

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 12, 2006, 11:25:13 AM
good luck with your project. Rene

Thanks Sam, but I haven't got one yet. lol  :icon_smile_big:

miamivice

i would stay away from thomas at BK auto.   i could go on and on, but lets just say he screwed  a few people in the knight rider world.   not to mention that his stuff looks like S**TT.     i assuem you want a general lee

smith brothers are good guys, they will be doing my car.   

if you dont want the huge waiting list there is a guy out in Oklahoma that can do one for you, check out his web site:   www.scotleaidolrods.com
good guy.

pretty much any restoration shop COULD make a general lee, after all the main part of it is restoring a 1969 (or you could convert  a 68) charger.  rest of it is mostly paint and small things.   

good luck

Carlwalski

Thanks mate, I've since decided to just try my luck.....the ole fashioned way of waiting.  :icon_smile_big:
eBay or something will pop up for me....I'm after a 68 Black Charger (double or Triple) or a General Lee.

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

Mike DC

I also vote to do your own research & build your own.  Building a GL is 85% about putting together a decent '69 Dodge Charger, and 15% about knowing how to dress it right.

There aren't a ton of GL-specializing shops on earth, but there's plenty of places to just get a musclecar redone in decent quality.  If you bring them the paint code numbers & decals and you know some relevant GL details, they should be able to do what needs to be done as well as anyone else.  The only great magic that goes into a GL paintjob is knowing which parts/trim to smooth over and which paint code # of orange paint to pour into the paint gun.

Buy yourself a medium-to-nice Charger for $17K that's already complete & running, buy some correct decals & pushbar & wheels, etc.  Then have it repainted & redressed as the "General Lee" by a decent shop local shop that you trust.

mikepmcs

How much they charging for a GL rep??
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi68charger

I live about 1/2 mile from them.........

Seem to do ok work....... Full to quickies it seems........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Carlwalski

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 13, 2006, 08:13:02 PM
I also vote to do your own research & build your own.  Building a GL is 85% about putting together a decent '69 Dodge Charger, and 15% about knowing how to dress it right.

There aren't a ton of GL-specializing shops on earth, but there's plenty of places to just get a musclecar redone in decent quality.  If you bring them the paint code numbers & decals and you know some relevant GL details, they should be able to do what needs to be done as well as anyone else.  The only great magic that goes into a GL paintjob is knowing which parts/trim to smooth over and which paint code # of orange paint to pour into the paint gun.

Buy yourself a medium-to-nice Charger for $17K that's already complete & running, buy some correct decals & pushbar & wheels, etc.  Then have it repainted & redressed as the "General Lee" by a decent shop local shop that you trust.

Thanks Mikey, although this idea did cross my mind I really don't want to go through another resto myself.
I never do things by halves so I can budget for $50K build including paint job, engine work, interior etc...
But at the end of the day I'll blow what ever budget I have out the window as I only buy the best stuff....

The Challenger R/Ts restoration was a 3 year thing and very expensive, done 101% right every nut and bolt.
I just want one built or be given a set price and then leave it at that.  : :icon_smile_wink:

mikepmcs - BKAuto charges around $35K for a General Lee with 440/727 Tan interior and a 1969 sourced body.

Thanks Troy for your input.  :icon_smile_cool:

Mike DC

Well, good luck with whatever you do.
You seen to be talking about a $35-45K car?  That should put together one DAMN FLAWLESS General Lee replica.  There are a lot of $20-30K General Lees out there, but not many in the ballpark you're talking about. 

I know of about 2-3 replicas that are absoultely immaculate.  It'll be interesting to see what you end up doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Are you basically doing the standard style of GL replica?  As in, a Charger that looks like it was based on a 440 R/T street car?  A GL with the 2-point rollbar & full interior, 15x7" or 15x8.5" rims, etc?

Carlwalski

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 14, 2006, 08:56:04 AM
Well, good luck with whatever you do.
You seen to be talking about a $35-45K car?  That should put together one DAMN FLAWLESS General Lee replica.  There are a lot of $20-30K General Lees out there, but not many in the ballpark you're talking about. 

I know of about 2-3 replicas that are absoultely immaculate.  It'll be interesting to see what you end up doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Are you basically doing the standard style of GL replica?  As in, a Charger that looks like it was based on a 440 R/T street car?  A GL with the 2-point rollbar & full interior, 15x7" or 15x8.5" rims, etc?

Thanks Mike. I really don't want to spend any more than $30K, that's my limit.
I'm not after a show queen or anything, if it's a General Lee in 8 out of 10 condition I'll be over the moon.

It will basically be a thrasher, daily driver, I'll take good care of it, yes, but the Challenger will be the car I keep an eye on 24/7.
With the General I won't have to worry "as" much. lol If that makes sense?  ???

Anyhow, I'll let the board know when I eventually get one.
By the way, you couldn't PM me those 2-3 replica locations and numbers could you? lol

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

hemi68charger

I've seen a few of the Chargers they start off with....  :icon_smile_dead:  Make sure you get pics of the car "Before"...

Like I said, they are about .5 miles from my house.......

I could check on something for awhile... I'll be moving in the short term future.....

I have a '70 Charger R/T I could sell you.. :)

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Carlwalski

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 14, 2006, 08:41:01 PM
I've seen a few of the Chargers they start off with....  :icon_smile_dead:  Make sure you get pics of the car "Before"...

Like I said, they are about .5 miles from my house.......

I could check on something for awhile... I'll be moving in the short term future.....

I have a '70 Charger R/T I could sell you.. :)

Troy

Thanks Troy, thanks for the offer but I'll have to say no. I'm really only after a Black 68 or a General Lee.  :icon_smile_big:
Na, that's cool, I'll skip building one altogether and just wait for a complete car to pop up.  :yesnod:

Cheers mate,
Carl
NZ440R/T