News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cable through wing?

Started by Hemi Runner, April 05, 2016, 06:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

I've got an original Superbird wing. I was wondering how and where the wing uprights were drilled for the retaining cable. I'd like to run some standing mile events and will most likely be pushing 200mph. Anyone have any photos of drilled and cabled wings? What size cable was used?

odcics2

Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 05, 2016, 06:50:45 AM
I've got an original Superbird wing. I was wondering how and where the wing uprights were drilled for the retaining cable. I'd like to run some standing mile events and will most likely be pushing 200mph. Anyone have any photos of drilled and cabled wings? What size cable was used?

Is it on a Superbird?

If not, the force produced by a wing can lead to lift on the front wheels on a regular car.  Not a safe condition!

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Hemi Runner

Yes, it's a Superbird clone.

white

I think I have a picture of the wire going through a wing on a race car on my computer. Will post it as soon as I can

farm966

My repop wing from Show Cars (oh bad memories) has a cable going through it...I will see if I can find any pics...

Hemi Runner

Quote from: white on April 05, 2016, 11:47:12 AM
I think I have a picture of the wire going through a wing on a race car on my computer. Will post it as soon as I can

Thanks! I already have it mounted on the car BTW!!

A383Wing

I have the Nascar wing on my car with the cable in it....I just have not got it taken off to get any pics....the top of  the upright is hogged out on the upper corner to get the cable up & over the top through the wing....mine only has 3 studs that hold the wing to the car...the 4th stud is eliminated to allow the cable to go through the body

r4daytona

I would like to ask - what is the cable for?? I've never heard of those on Daytonas, I know mine doesn't have one.

Mike DC

NASCAR was worried about the wings breaking off & sailing away from the car during a wreck.  

Imagine one of those things going into the crowd, or into the window of another car on the track.  Lethal.

AFAIK breaking wings didn't prove to be a big problem.  But I think NASCAR was smart to do something before an incident instead of after.  

white

Still looking for cable through wing picture

72Charger72

heres a post I found describing it. Might help some..
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=77965&sid=f5c4727d9e31c27218468f6727291984
and from another article
Pretty easy - 3 nuts under each vertical stabilizer inside the trunk and one bolt in each of the two wing brace tubes, going to the trunk floor. Repeat on the other side and you're done.

Aero426

Because the wing was designed to perform at speed without a cable,  I don't know that I would bother drilling holes in perfectly good uprights unless your tech people say you have to have it.

If you need a safety cable, you probably have WAY bigger problems going on.    You also don't have the spectator issues on a standing mile run like you do with a full grandstand of people at a NASCAR track. 

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on April 06, 2016, 01:34:40 PM
Because the wing was designed to perform at speed without a cable,  I don't know that I would bother drilling holes in perfectly good uprights unless your tech people say you have to have it.

If you need a safety cable, you probably have WAY bigger problems going on.    You also don't have the spectator issues on a standing mile run like you do with a full grandstand of people at a NASCAR track. 

The #88 Engineering Daytona wing doesn't have one...  But, after the rule was in place, it never ran a high speed Nascar track with spectators.   Oddly enough, it has many other holes for wire clips and speed sensors on it.

held1823

NASCAR was worried about the wings breaking off & sailing away from the car during a wreck.  

Imagine one of those things going into the crowd, or into the window of another car on the track.  Lethal.

AFAIK breaking wings didn't prove to be a big problem.  But I think NASCAR was smart to do something before an incident instead of after.  

not an unfounded concern.....
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Aero426 on April 06, 2016, 01:34:40 PM
Because the wing was designed to perform at speed without a cable,  I don't know that I would bother drilling holes in perfectly good uprights unless your tech people say you have to have it.

If you need a safety cable, you probably have WAY bigger problems going on.    You also don't have the spectator issues on a standing mile run like you do with a full grandstand of people at a NASCAR track.  
We're also planning on doing quarter mile racing with it and 170mph in the quarter won't be unusual. I'd rather drill the uprights and have the cable than hit the wall and have a wing go into the stands. Besides, I've already deflowered an NOS airfoil so what's a couple of holes in the original uprights?

Hemi Runner

Quote from: A383Wing on April 05, 2016, 06:42:13 PM
I have the Nascar wing on my car with the cable in it....I just have not got it taken off to get any pics....the top of  the upright is hogged out on the upper corner to get the cable up & over the top through the wing....mine only has 3 studs that hold the wing to the car...the 4th stud is eliminated to allow the cable to go through the body
Do you recall what the cable diameter was?

odcics2

The #5 Arrington wreck caused Nascar to make the cable rule.
The Sal Tovella wreck was under USAC rules - no cable.

A383Wing

Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 06, 2016, 06:37:19 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on April 05, 2016, 06:42:13 PM
Do you recall what the cable diameter was?

I have not got the wing off the car yet to dig out the original cable that is still inside the uprights...it's on my list of things to do soon

white

Boy that wing makes the car look super mean. Great job!

Lennard

The down force got too much.

odcics2

Quote from: 72Charger72 on April 07, 2016, 09:27:47 AM
Quote from: Lennard on April 07, 2016, 09:11:51 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9EcZ_izdtc
They lost the wing? More like it exploded!

Let this be a lesson to you all!!   Factory parts are race tested tough!     :2thumbs:

Lennard

Quote from: odcics2 on April 07, 2016, 03:02:00 PM
Let this be a lesson to you all!!   Factory parts are race tested tough!     :2thumbs:
The one that broke was a hollow aluminum wing, now they have a solid one on there.