News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ball park price of a complete 4 speed setup.

Started by marshallfry01, April 07, 2016, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red79

To be clear, $7100 was the price for a complete conversion kit including a passon 18 spline 4speed overdrive (their 833 with custom gear set, sells for around $3k alone). They're still asking $5k for the 5 speed unit as far as I know.

303 Mopar

Quote from: red79 on April 10, 2016, 09:48:26 AM
To be clear, $7100 was the price for a complete conversion kit including a passon 18 spline 4speed overdrive (their 833 with custom gear set, sells for around $3k alone). They're still asking $5k for the 5 speed unit as far as I know.

Correct, the $7100 was for EVERYTHING to flip from auto to manual HEMI OD.  Jamie's 5 speed is still years away, although I have heard of a couple guys recently receiving one.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Troy

Funny, people see these prices yet still don't understand why a real 4-speed car is so much more expensive. ;)

The factory setup can be pricey by the time you chase down all the little bits and pieces. It is easier to buy a "kit" from Passon or Brewers. You'll pay a premium for them doing all the work sourcing the parts but you'll also get the right parts the first time. I have gotten much better deals searching classifieds and eBay - but the time involved and the chance of buying the wrong parts really adds to the unseen costs. Also, be aware that their kits contain rebuilt transmissions. The typical cost to rebuild your Craigslist 18 spline is about $1,100.

I couldn't bring myself to hack a perfectly good floor out of any of my cars to install a modern 5-speed so I sold the parts I had collected.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargedup68

I went with a used tremec 5 speed so I could run higher gears in the back end and keep the rpms down on the highway and ended up around $3500, but had to do some hacking and massaging on the tunnel.
68 Charger, 608/683 505 cu in. Muscle Motors Stroker, MASS Flo EFI. Reilly Motorsports Alterkation/Street Lynx suspension, Wilwood brakes, Strange Dana 60 4.11 gears, Tremec TKO 600