News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The " PLEASE stop saying this" thread.

Started by Kern Dog, March 28, 2016, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

How about "that being said" ?  We've all used these. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

John_Kunkel

Instead of just criticizing terms in the language, why not tell us what term you would use in its place?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

In response to Mr Kunkle:

*Just sayin" : This empty phrase has no value. If you just said something, I am aware of it so you don't need to tell me that you just said it.
"Know what I'm sayin?" Again, this is pointless unless the person being spoke to is just learning English.
"Barn Find" : Okay, my point with this one is that it is OVERused. Not every dusty, neglected car was pulled out of a barn.
"Game Changer, Take it to the next level, Outside the box, Synergy, There is no I in team". These are corporate phrases that have moved from the boardroom to the rest of society. These metaphors annoy me, as I'm guessing they do others.
"Fail" is a verb, not a noun, a pronoun or an adjective. The proper title to a failed effort would be FAILURE.
Keep in mind, I am merely a High School graduate. I am only expressing my frustration with phrases that I personally find to be annoying or incorrect. I am neither right or wrong, just opinionated... :eek2:

stripedelete

,,,,,, and what about the letter M?   Let's get rid of it .........."

ws23rt

At "the end of the day" :lol: we all use some of these terms or sayings.

I grew up in english classes (that I hated)---BTW spell check tells me "english" is wrong. :slap:---English--- that's better.

What we are really talking about is what catches the eye and distracts from the communication intended.

When grammar and current "street" phrases are cobbled up and used to convey a point or opinion--communication slows down.

One that I like is "how are you"----It's just a greeting :shruggy:---Most really don't want to know how you are. :nana:--It just means hello.

The problem I see is when communication of a point or idea is needed one needs to use established rules and proper use of language for that to best happen.

I have my own "pet peeves" as well as a weakness with punctuation. But when being understood basic ground rules are there for a reason.

I have a few friends that speak in a an odd language of their own making and we don't talk much because of that.

When someone posts in a place like this I would think they would like to be understood. :scratchchin:

A street speaker could (on the other hand) just be showing their face metal, pocket chains, tattoos, etc so we know who they are and therefore understand what they think without the need of "proper/understandable" language.  :shruggy:  All we need is the translation book.

Kern Dog

Ws, I agree with the "How are you?" phrase. I take the question literally and answer  with an appropriate response. It does annoy me when people start a conversation with it when they have no interest in the actual answer.
I read one time that people that are considered "Interesting" are often the types of people that ask about YOU. I have tried this and find that most of the time, they never ask about me...They only blab on about themselves.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 01, 2016, 07:09:49 PM
In response to Mr Kunkle: (sic)

Just sayin" Same as "in my opinion"

"Know what I'm sayin?" Same as "do you understand?"

"Barn Find"  Legitimate term, admittedly overused.

"Game Changer, Take it to the next level, Outside the box, Synergy, There is no I in team". These are corporate phrases that have moved from the boardroom to the rest of society. These metaphors annoy me, as I'm guessing they do others.

Barking dogs annoy me...got one? Seems most do. Point is, what annoys you just makes you anal at a different level than some others.

"Fail" is a verb, not a noun, a pronoun or an adjective.

Welcome to the colloquial English.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

polywideblock

looking for a different hello that how are you , try g'day   ;D          just sayin      :nana:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on April 02, 2016, 06:53:57 PM
looking for a different hello that how are you , try g'day   ;D          just sayin      :nana:

I always liked "g'day" as an easy and simple hello and good by. :cheers:

"Have a nice day" is something that tires me but I feel the intent.

Just a bit off topic--- I always thought that spelling "ambulance" backward on the front of one seemed odd?? -- When one of these screaming things comes up behind me I know what it is without having to read it in my mirror.
When I see one coming the other way I might get confused about what it is with the spelling backwards?? ---just sayin--
This seems to be universal across many countries and the language differences come to mind. :shruggy:

A screaming red and white vehicle with lights flashing behind me could be a source of confusion. ---That I can read the word "ambulance" (in english) in my mirror gives me that last bit of clarity for me to make a proper decision about how to behave. If it was in another language or not spelled backwards I may pause enough to cause a further problem.

We are a funny sort when it comes to language but the --"bottom line"-- is consistency works better then changing as a mood or trend keeps doing.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 29, 2016, 02:10:43 PM

Jeez. I thought I was anal....you guys got me beat.

I just caught up to this thread. 

Kinda agree with John here.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Back N Black

I don't like when people say I will give 110% or when people call me Boss, Chief or Big Guy.  :brickwall:

Kern Dog

It used to be sports team coaches that said..."Give me 110%". Coaches were not usually math teachers.   :icon_smile_tongue: