News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SIX BARREL SUPERBIRD OIL PRESSURE QUESTION?

Started by Mopar John, March 29, 2016, 08:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I would like to know what your oil pressure is on a six barrel Superbird with stock oiling idling and at temp?
Thanks! MJ

A383Wing

service manual should have this info.....I'm also gonna guess you will get all sorts of answers across the board

62 Max

John,my bird runs at right around 65 at idle hot and 75 on the road with a direct reading gauge which also coincides with the dash gauge.Only thing I did was add a Hemi relief spring to the pump,oil is straight 40 weight Brad Penn.I went through the engine in 1992,standard bore,Speed Pro Plasma Moly rings,Vandervel bearings,O.E.M. cam bearings,roughly 7K miles and never any issues or oil consumption.

FJ5WING

hey Bill
What is the advantage of swapping out the spring in the pump?
wingless now, but still around.

62 Max

Quote from: FJ5WING on March 30, 2016, 07:38:48 AM
hey Bill
What is the advantage of swapping out the spring in the pump?

About 10 lb. increase in oil pressure.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on March 29, 2016, 08:03:54 PM
I would like to know what your oil pressure is on a six barrel Superbird with stock oiling idling and at temp?
Thanks! MJ

John - Did you put the resistor wire harness (from Frank B) to the sender?
That will knock the readings down on the gauge. So will the incorrect rated sending unit.

Mopar John

Quote from: A383Wing on March 29, 2016, 08:25:43 PM
service manual should have this info.....I'm also gonna guess you will get all sorts of answers across the board
I just checked my 1970 Plymouth factory service manual and the oil pressure should be 45 - 65 lbs a idle!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 30, 2016, 10:42:42 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 29, 2016, 08:03:54 PM
Thanks! MJ

John - Did you put the resistor wire harness (from Frank B) to the sender?
That will knock the readings down on the gauge. So will the incorrect rated sending unit.
Jim,
I did put the resistor harness from Frank on yesterday and wanted to know where others were at as far as oil pressure?
With the correct sending unit and resistor wire installed I'm at 45lbs at idle and at engine operating temp.
Thanks! MJ