News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake vacuum motor

Started by fireguyfire, March 29, 2016, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

After debating about what to do with my borderline engine vacuum after putting a mild cam in my 68 383 and having average braking even though I have a Wilwood power front disc conversion set on my charger, I decided to add the dedicated electric vacuum pump to run the brakes (I also had my brake booster rebuilt last year professionally; the diaphragm inside was torn).
I wound up with the SSBC system and installed it today which was pretty easy.
My question is about where to take power from; the kit says to take power from anywhere after the key (of course). I am having a hard time deciding where to take power from and am curious because I know other guys are running the vacuum pumps on here and may be able suggest or show photos of where they took power from?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

rebby

If it were me, I'd tap the back of the factory fuse panel (use a multimeter to find ignition hot) and run that to excite a relay. That way you can run the pump directly off the battery and don't risk overloading any of the factory circuits. I have a number of things wired in this matter in my car (including electric cooling fans, a ham radio, a dixie horn, you get the idea). Use a relay and be sure to fuse your new circuit.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Kern Dog

I ran mine to the starter relay.

myk

What about a hydro boost setup?

303 Mopar

I had a vacuum pump on my '71 Challenger mounted in the trunk with rubber mounts.  I powered it off a switch under the dash, also tied to the fuel pump, that was off the key on switch.  While the pump worked, the sound drove me crazy enough to bite the bullet and buy a Tallon Hydraulics set up.  http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

fireguyfire

This system looks like it already has a relay in it.
Where exactly did you take power from off of your starter relay Kern dog?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent