News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front brake lines wrap around shock?

Started by crj1968, March 27, 2016, 10:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crj1968

So I got some new brake parts and found the old disk brake lines were looped around the shock and stressed bad at full turn.

The new ones I got, correct length (just under 15 inches) from my google-fu same thing.  ?? 

I can route them not to go around the shock but the bend is really tight and that can't be right.   :shruggy:

I found some lines (not in my hands yet) with same fittings for a van that are a little longer but not by much.

myk

Can you post a picture?  I've never heard of such a thing...

303 Mopar

Some of the new kits require you to mount the caliper on the front of the rotor if this helps.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

crj1968

I will try and get a picture. Its not a new kit. Factory brakes. The caliper mounts on the backside of rotor and the line comes out the bottom front and  has to do a u turn to get connected.  Bizzaro.

BLK 68 R/T

If you can post a pic that would be helpful. I have never heard of the lines coming out the bottom of the caliper, they should come out of the top.

crj1968

Well the line goes in the bottom and the bleeders are up top.

I am not able to get pic now but here is one like my setup I found with guy in same situation. But he must have used some sort of banjo fitting at the caliper. But still this looks weird.

The lines I got are like this

with a long metal part that screws into the caliper so it really limits what you can do.

I tried swapping sides which would put the hose on the backside of the caliper, but the long metal part of the hose hits crap and is even worse. (maybe that would be a better way with a banjo fitting)
It's weird because this is how I got the car and I was like WTH? But now I see why it was routed the way it was.  

crj1968

Looks like swapping sides will work if I can figure out what brake lines this dude used. I'd like to see a factory disc brake setup on a B-body. Maybe mine was a drum car originally and someone swapped this stuff over a long time ago.

Thanks for responding guys.   :coolgleamA:

birdsandbees

That certainly looks like a drum brake flex hose..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

BLK 68 R/T

Look at the 73-74 brake lines, they have the banjo fitting that may work for you depending on the thread size?

crj1968

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 28, 2016, 10:50:05 AM
That certainly looks like a drum brake flex hose..
Totally agree which would make sense for how whoever did the brakes in the past had it goofed up. If they just swapped over stuff to a drum brake car. Might explain why I got into this whole thing in the first place. Seemed my front brakes weren't working like they should. I bet the porp valve is for drums too.   :brickwall:

crj1968

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on March 28, 2016, 11:10:10 AM
Look at the 73-74 brake lines, they have the banjo fitting that may work for you depending on the thread size?

Thanks- I found some for 73 charger that looks like they will work.   :cheers:

birdsandbees

Had to know for myself ! Went out and took a picture of the disc brakes on my 70 Bird. The hose you have looks correct, the caliper is supposed to be in the front of the spindle, not behind it.... for factory anyhow.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

crj1968

Interesting. Thanks! Ok well that explains a lot.  sheesh !

Another question...

So a disc b-body (1970ish) used the same porp valve as a drum car but had and extra block ?

http://www.inlinetube.com/#!product/prd14/2361685051/1969-70-b-body-distribution-block

Seems it'd be easier to use an A body one in my case.   :shruggy:

crj1968

HEy back to your picture Birdsandbees....

How is it possible that my calipers are mounted on the wrong side?    :-\

The spindles are swapped? 

birdsandbees

If they are Chrysler parts, they mounted the spindles on the wrong sides ! :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

crj1968

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 28, 2016, 12:04:29 PM
If they are Chrysler parts, they mounted the spindles on the wrong sides ! :yesnod:

OK yep, it all makes sense now.  :rotz:    :brickwall:

Excuse me, I need to go slap a certain someone upside the head.  :slap:

Thanks again.   :cheers:

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: crj1968 on March 28, 2016, 12:26:32 PM

OK yep, it all makes sense now.  :rotz:    :brickwall:

Excuse me, I need to go slap a certain someone upside the head.  :slap:

Thanks again.   :cheers:

What year is your car? And does it have a sway bar? Reason is because the sway bar mount in a different spot in 70 vs 68/69. that may be the reason the calipers are mounted rearward if you have a 68/69 with later style discs. The 68/69 sway bar interferes with 70 style brakes if mounted forward, that's why if you swap sides and rear mount the calipers it all works but you have to monkey around with the brake lines

crj1968

Good info-

Mine is a 70 with a sway bar...looks just like birdsandbees just that my spindles are on the wrong side!

Oh well it could use new ball joints anyways. 

BLK 68 R/T

What year is your car? And does it have a sway bar? Reason is because the sway bar mount in a different spot in 70 vs 68/69. that may be the reason the calipers are mounted rearward if you have a 68/69 with later style discs. The 68/69 sway bar interferes with 70 style brakes if mounted forward, that's why if you swap sides and rear mount the calipers it all works but you have to monkey around with the brake lines
[/quote]
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on March 28, 2016, 12:49:55 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on March 28, 2016, 12:26:32 PM

OK yep, it all makes sense now.  :rotz:    :brickwall:

Excuse me, I need to go slap a certain someone upside the head.  :slap:

Thanks again.   :cheers:

OK then back to line 2 then from your previous post. :slap:  :lol:

crj1968

Exactly.   :slap:

So how about the proportioning valve.

Classic industries shows a 69/70 one being two pieces for a disc brake B body.
Seems it be easier to use on for like a later A body 73-up discs.   :scratchchin:

BLK 68 R/T

Yep they use the same valve, however, disc brake cars had an extra valve called a proportioning valve in the rear brake line just behind the distribution valve. Also the master cylinder is different between drum and disc. You can look at the proportioning valve at classic industries MD2274.

crj1968

Thanks again!

But it might be easier just to use a later one piece valve like  md2268.     :shruggy:  Unless the lines dont fit....

Got a new master cyl ordered up.  :2thumbs:

BLK 68 R/T

It may be easier. I've never done it so I can't provide any feedback.  Good luck :2thumbs:

b5blue

Look back from the dist. block. Follow the rear brake line. All you need and should have is a proportion valve. A small block with a knob on it. It restricts flow to the rear slave cylinders. 

crj1968

Quote from: b5blue on March 28, 2016, 05:30:30 PM
Look back from the dist. block. Follow the rear brake line. All you need and should have is a proportion valve. A small block with a knob on it. It restricts flow to the rear slave cylinders. 

Gotchya-I thanks

b5blue

crj1968

Well mine was swapped to discs in the past in a very bad way.

time and money......  :yesnod:

b5blue

Did you find a valve in the rear line? Post picks of what you have for distribution block.

HPP

If your sway bar mounts in front of the K frame and further out on the control arm closer to the shock mount, then you HAVE to have the calipers on the rear. If your sway bar mounts through the K frame and mid way on the lower control arm, you can have calipers on the front or rear.

crj1968

Quote from: b5blue on March 29, 2016, 05:54:00 AM
Did you find a valve in the rear line? Post picks of what you have for distribution block.

No valve- drum brake car for everything but the spindles and rotors.   :P

Thanks HPP- looks like my spindles need to be swapped or easier I just dig up some different brake line.