News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best coil performance + reliability?

Started by johnnycharger, March 26, 2016, 08:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Well my Blaster coil finally died (outer case cracked). I bought it in 1999. I am looking for another to mount horizontal. Any recommendations?

myk

I still have mine as well; think I bought it in 96?   Don't they make these coils anymore? 

johnnycharger

Quote from: myk on March 27, 2016, 08:31:30 AM
I still have mine as well; think I bought it in 96?   Don't they make these coils anymore? 

They are still available I just didn't know if there are better options these days. I know that Pertronix makes the flame thrower coil as well. I have the Pertronix box that replaces the points in my car since the previous owner and that seems fine...

johnnycharger

The Mallory 29219 has great reviews also. And at 58,000 volts...isn't more better?

myk

I see what you're saying about the Mallory.  But, the blaster has served us both for decades; I personally don't see a reason to change.  Ron/Firefighter also sells a coil that's usually paired up with his Firecore distributor systems.  Maybe you should ask him for some input...

johnnycharger

Quote from: myk on March 27, 2016, 10:44:46 AM
I see what you're saying about the Mallory.  But, the blaster has served us both for decades; I personally don't see a reason to change.  Ron/Firefighter also sells a coil that's usually paired up with his Firecore distributor systems.  Maybe you should ask him for some input...

Both very good points. I am always interested in Ron's input when it comes to engine stuff. He has really helped me in the past. I read on a different site that a guy was saying something about the spark from the blaster 2 being too "short" and not optimal causing lost power if not used along with the big MSD box. I don't know if that is fact or fiction....

RECHRGD

I bought a Firecore RTR setup from Ron along with the Firecore coil.  If you are running the RTR system and have bypassed the ballast resistor you must use a coil rated for full time 12 volt input.  That's probably why your coil fried....
13.53 @ 105.32

myk

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

johnnycharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 27, 2016, 03:57:32 PM
I bought a Firecore RTR setup from Ron along with the Firecore coil.  If you are running the RTR system and have bypassed the ballast resistor you must use a coil rated for full time 12 volt input.  That's probably why your coil fried....
Good info. I am running a Pertronix box I'm my dizzy. Not a RTR.

myk

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: johnnycharger on March 28, 2016, 08:46:23 AM

Hey Johnny,

It's best to stick with the same manufacturer when it comes to ignition components. I would use whatever Pertronix recommends for their system  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 28, 2016, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: myk on March 28, 2016, 09:28:20 AM
Quote from: RECHRGD on March 27, 2016, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: myk on March 27, 2016, 05:05:26 PM
Krikey.  Am I on borrowed time, then?

Yep!!

Pbbbbbb....gonna have to go hit Ron up AGAIN....

:2thumbs:

Hey Guys,

Just for reference ; Myk's 440 is not running an RTR distributor....he has the Plug & Play unit which just has a pickup and no built-in ECU.  :yesnod:

The P&P distributor just provides a signal to the box and the coil has to be matched to that box. Myk's blaster 2 coil is compatible with the 6al box so he's good to go !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

I use the marine version of the Blaster 2. It can be mounted in any position (oil filled coils need to be mounted facing up or they can overheat). It's also black which looks more stock than the bright red one.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rebby

Quote from: Troy on March 28, 2016, 05:47:31 PM
I use the marine version of the Blaster 2. It can be mounted in any position (oil filled coils need to be mounted facing up or they can overheat). It's also black which looks more stock than the bright red one.

Troy

Is that basically the same as the "high vibration" coil? That's what I'm running, the MSD HV Blaster.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

johnnycharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 28, 2016, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on March 28, 2016, 08:46:23 AM

Hey Johnny,

It's best to stick with the same manufacturer when it comes to ignition components. I would use whatever Pertronix recommends for their system  :yesnod:

Ron

Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:
I called  Pertronix today and and the guy said" if I wanted a Pertronix coil to use the Flamethrower 2 but it doesnt much  matter the Pertronix and MSDs are 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. "  so that didn't really instill confidence. ....

myk

I'm starting to get a "Blaster" headache...

johnnycharger

So.... I wanted to find out what model Pertronix box I had  because the rep told me their were two kinds. It had been installed by the previous owner and he was the one who told me it was Pertronix. I was surprised not to see any wording on it. Have you guys seen this one?

johnnycharger

I just spoke with Carl at Pertronix.  SUPER HELPFUL GUY. I wish I reached him the last time I called there. I sent him the picture and he said it is NOT a Pertronix box but some aftermarket Dodge version. :brickwall: now I will be hunting what coil to pair with it....

firefighter3931

I would just replace it with what was on there. The Blaster worked for years and would still be working if not for an oil leak. Maybe upgrade to the epoxy filled blaster but keep using what worked.  :yesnod:

Ron

johnnycharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 01, 2016, 06:13:47 AM
I would just replace it with what was on there. The Blaster worked for years and would still be working if not for an oil leak. Maybe upgrade to the epoxy filled blaster but keep using what worked.  :yesnod:

Ron

Hi Ron
Sounds like a good plan. This time I am going to order one of these (probably the chrome one) that comes with an MSD ballast resistor.  I have no idea what kind of Ballast resistor I have now and I like the fact that these were developed to work together.

firefighter3931

Hey Johnny,

If you're going to use an oil filled coil it's best to mount it vertically. Mancini carries a relocation bracket to mount it straight up...or you could fab something similar  :2thumbs:

http://www.manciniracing.com/corebrunmo.html

Ron

johnnycharger

Thanks Ron. That looks like a good way to go as long as I get get it to clear my drop base air filter. I will check this evening. Thanks! :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: johnnycharger on April 01, 2016, 08:29:28 AM
Thanks Ron. That looks like a good way to go as long as I get get it to clear my drop base air filter. I will check this evening. Thanks! :cheers:

If for some reason the coil won't clear your aircleaner assembly you can allways mount it on the inner fender just opposite the distributor. A 16in coilwire will get the job done.

Ron

johnnycharger

Thank you Ron and All!!
Between adding the proper bracket and the coil I figured I was just better off to pick up the high vibration blaster and use that. I will install it this evening and let you guys know how it goes!

johnnycharger

Wow! What a difference in the way it runs! Do coils slowly go bad? I thought it was a good/ bad type of part. The butt dyno loves the new coil!