News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source distributor wiring

Started by moparguy01, March 26, 2016, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

I just got a distributor from 440source but it didn't have the connector on the end of wiring. I've got a black and orange wire, and a black and blue wire. Does anyone which one I connect to where? I'm assuming orange is the positive side?

Thanks
Russ

BLK 68 R/T

I'm in the same boat as you. My wife bought me one a few years ago and I emailed them asking this same question and never got a response. Hopefully someone here will know the answer.

firefighter3931

Guys, it will run both ways so just connect the pickup wires to the box and fire the engine.  :yesnod:

Once it fires take a reading at idle and record the timing. Leave the distributor locked down and reverse the wires and check again and record that reading.

Results : if setup "A" has 16* at idle and setup "B" has 20* at idle.....then setup "A" is the correct polarity.

*The polarity that produces the more "retarded" base timing is correct;)

Once the correct phasing has been established you can begin tuning  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BLK 68 R/T

Thank you, Ron, for the feedback.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on March 28, 2016, 12:40:25 PM
Thank you, Ron, for the feedback.

You're welcome.....just here to help !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparguy01

Thanks Ron! I'm having issues with it firing, so I think I've still got another issue. Not even trying to kick, but I know it's set right. Just my luck!

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparguy01 on March 28, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
Thanks Ron! I'm having issues with it firing, so I think I've still got another issue. Not even trying to kick, but I know it's set right. Just my luck!

Russ, check the reluctor gap and also run a resistance test on the pickup  :yesnod:

What box are you using to fire the 440 ?

Ron

moparguy01

MSD 6al is running it with a blaster coil.

firefighter3931

Are you getting 12V to the small red trigger wire in the run & start positions ? That is the first thing to check !  :yesnod:

Ron

nge

Is the reluctor gap in the FSM? I cant seem to find it.

Chargerguy74

I just experienced this on Friday. Wired the one way, while setting/checking timing, the timing mark appeared to jump around a bit. Reversed the wires and the mark was was rock solid.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Nacho-RT74

Mmmmmm wondering about that's a posible reason on my "jumping" reading at my ignition lamp... But I haven't reversed ever that! Wiring is like diagrams show!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

( hence the pinging at 3700 rpms at highway? allong with loooot of  stuff being checked )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

myk

Shoulda just bought the Firecore distributors boys...

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: myk on May 11, 2016, 10:16:53 AM

Well like they say, hindsight is always 20/20  :icon_smile_big:

I actually got mine as a Christmas present from my wife a few years ago, before I had ever even heard of FireCore, and before I joined this great site....so we will soon see how it works, if it's not up to par then I will definitely go for the FireCore one  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on May 10, 2016, 07:34:21 PM
I just experienced this on Friday. Wired the one way, while setting/checking timing, the timing mark appeared to jump around a bit. Reversed the wires and the mark was was rock solid.

So what color wires went where?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chargerguy74

Quote from: myk on May 11, 2016, 10:16:53 AM

I went with the firecore.

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 11, 2016, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Chargerguy74 on May 10, 2016, 07:34:21 PM

So what color wires went where?

The orange wire of my firecore distributor went to the green wire of my MSD 6AL. What color was what I'd have to go check.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002