News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dang, that Right Stuff gasket sealer is too strong!

Started by RECHRGD, March 22, 2016, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

It's time for a new rear main seal.  Eight years ago I installed a new 6 quart Hemi oil pan on the 440.  When installing the pan and windage tray, I used the Right Stuff on both sides of both gaskets and never had a leak.  I can't get that pan to come loose to save my life.  I've managed to slip a thin feeler gauge though the bead for a couple inches in a couple of spots.  I've beat on it with a rubber mallet to the point of dinging it.  I know if I start prying on it with something bigger the pan will distort.  Any ideas?  I really don't want to sacrifice the pan........
13.53 @ 105.32

b5blue

RECHRGD

Quote from: b5blue on March 22, 2016, 06:11:47 PM
Drywall knife tapped on with a hammer.  :scratchchin:

I basically tried the same thing with an old knife blade.  The problem is with the engine in the car, the headers, tranny, k-member and etc.. Does not allow access to most of sealed area.......
13.53 @ 105.32

BSB67

I dont have a good solution for you.  Personally, I'd pull the motor.

If only the flange get bent, you can straighten that.

Also, make sure it is what you think it is.  Valve cover gasket leaks will usually present like a pan/seal leak.

FWIW, I never had a rear seal just start leaking.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

RECHRGD

Quote from: BSB67 on March 22, 2016, 06:29:03 PM
I dont have a good solution for you.  Personally, I'd pull the motor.

If only the flange get bent, you can straighten that.

Also, make sure it is what you think it is.  Valve cover gasket leaks will usually present like a pan/seal leak.

FWIW, I never had a rear seal just start leaking.

Don't think it's anything else.  I pulled the flex plate inspecting cover and saw the oil leaking down the inside of the bell housing on the drivers side.  I would assume a valve cover leak would be on the outside.....  For the price of a new pan, I'll just take a crow bar to the thing rather than pull the engine.
13.53 @ 105.32

c00nhunterjoe

I would look behind the top of the engine for a valley pan leak or valve cover. It can seep right down the belhousing/block mating surface and drip out the bottom.

RECHRGD

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 22, 2016, 07:01:42 PM
I would look behind the top of the engine for a valley pan leak or valve cover. It can seep right down the belhousing/block mating surface and drip out the bottom.

But a leak at that point couldn't make it to the inside of the bell housing, could it?
13.53 @ 105.32

c00nhunterjoe

Yes. Seen it before. Not guaranteed thats your problem, but it takes 5 minutes to check before you tear the car down.

RECHRGD

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 22, 2016, 08:26:45 PM
Yes. Seen it before. Not guaranteed thats your problem, but it takes 5 minutes to check before you tear the car down.

Well, with the oil drained and gasket seal compromised, I'm pretty much at the point of no return.  There is no leak from the sending unit, but a slight sign of a oil trail on the drivers side valve cover, and I mean very slight.  What got me to this point was a six inch puddle after starting up last week, pulling the inspecting plate and seeing a fresh trail of oil down the inside of the bell housing.  There was no fresh oil at either of the aforementioned areas....
13.53 @ 105.32

c00nhunterjoe

In that case, sounds like bad news inside the bellhousing unfortunately

A383Wing

could be cam plug or oil galley plugs leaking also

b5blue

Jeez, good luck and let us know how it goes.  :eek2: My rear seal leaks a bit but I'm just living with it.

PlainfieldCharger

Wow, did I find this thread in time. I have been reading how good the Right stuff is so I had planned on using it on reassembly after installing a new cam, but it sounds like disassembly is a major issue that I do not want. What type of sealer is the OP going to use? Use Right Stuff?

fizz

Had exactly same issue today. Got the pan off but wasn't having much luck with windage tray. Found the snap on man and bought a set of gasket scrapers. They are ridged and sharp, and it worked without bending the tray too much.

Dino

I just removed my rtv'd on oil pan the other day while the engine was on a stand and it took me a while to clean it all up. You may just want to pull the engine at this point.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RECHRGD

Got it and the windage tray off today.  Used a narrow, flexible putty knife that allowed me to get enough of the seal broke to pop them off without too much damage.  Was discouraged that the back side of the seal was dryer than expected.  Yes, there was some oil there, but not what I would have expected given the amount of oil on the floor after only running for fifteen minutes.....
13.53 @ 105.32

ACUDANUT

If it ain't leaking somewhere, something is wrong. (military humor)