News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need hints on removing starter mounting stud, other forums no help!

Started by WH23G3G, March 22, 2016, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I got this 99 Dakota R/T I'm working on and I've tried some of the Dakota forums on this topic. Either no one there has done it or they don't know how. It's got the 46RE automatic and has a dust cover similar to the 727 on my Charger but a lot more is involved in changing this one because the starter goes through it. Now I know the transmission has been swapped out in my Dakota. It came from a 2001 according to the tag on the case. I was trying to put the new inspection cover on today after removing the starter. But I couldn't get the bottom stud out of the case where the starter is bolted to. It's just like my Charger in that way too. I thought I could loop over the cover on the stud and fish the cover in but it's tight so it won't work. I thought maybe the cover was incorrect but I checked 1999, 2000, and 2001 Dakota R/Ts and they all shared the same part number I got and looked the same. I even checked Durangos too. So the starter mounting stud has to come out. But I couldn't get it out. I tried the trick of putting two nuts on it and loosening the back one but the stud wouldn't even move at all. I didn't want to keep at it and mess up the stud or break the case. Is there another sure proof way to get it out? By the way has anyone here ever had to do this on a Dakota?

BLK 68 R/T

Can you get a torch on it without burning anything else up in the process? If you can, try heating the stud and touch some candlewax to the base near the threads. Then try the double nut setup to see if it will come out.

A383Wing

is the cover just a tin piece? Can't you use some tin snips and cut a slot in the cover to slide past the stud?