News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taillight lense polishing?

Started by 400sforever, March 17, 2016, 11:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400sforever

Anyone have any good secrets on polishing light scratches or rub marks off of tail lights to make them new looking? Is this possible?
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

Ryan.C

I used some 3M buffing compound on mine with an old T-shirt, a little water and lots of elbow grease. Just like polishing shoes or Combat boots.
My lenses were not that bad off but polishing them made a big improvement. In the past I have even used plain white toothpaste.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

myk

I wonder if the stuff people use for clearing up clouded headlight housings on modern cars would work also...

PlainfieldCharger

I use a product called NOVUS. They have different size particle sizes available. #2 is what I use the most. I found this product restoring pinball machine plastics. Try it, you will like it :smilielol:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: 41husk on March 18, 2016, 08:57:51 AM
were can you get it?

:scratchchin: I should have posted this link.
https://www.novuspolish.com/
You can get it on Ebay, Amazon too.

400sforever

1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

DAY CLONA

Brock Lee

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on March 18, 2016, 06:56:52 AM
I use a product called NOVUS. They have different size particle sizes available. #2 is what I use the most. I found this product restoring pinball machine plastics. Try it, you will like it :smilielol:

Same here. It also used it on gauge lenses and they look new when done.

The professional headlight polishing kits will not work here as the compound (basic 3M polishing compound by the way) is used along with a few different grit sanding discs. They are designed to sand out a large surface, bit a ribbed surface.

Kits that are compound only usually have waxes in them to simulate a clear polish. It washes away after a while.

The only kit I am aware of that is all liquid and truly bring them to a scratch free polish without wax is the Novus plastic polishing system. Typically what I do is start with the 3M general compound, then move up to the Novus system.

Davtona

So I'd like to derail this thread in a little different direction for a moment if I may. As we are talking about taillight restoration does anyone know what glue or solvent works with these lenses. I'm wanting to fix the bezel retaining tabs on a 69 lens. Taking a junk lens and using a piece of it's tab to fix a broken tab on a good lens. I know super glue and such might work but I am looking for the glue that will solvent weld it so to speak. The way plastic models or pvc pipe is welded together. Does anyone know what type of plastic the lenses are made out of.  :cheers: