News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After sitting takes a while to start but one started it will fire off right away

Started by AKcharger, March 20, 2016, 08:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

This has been a problem on the '72 since I got it and it's time to get it fixed. If the car sits more than 12 hours it takes about 45 seconds of cranking to get it to fire off. After it's been running a few minutes you can just tap the starter and it cranks right up. It's obviously a fuel problem and it seems to be loosing "prime" but I'm looking at the best place to start...anyone ever experience this?

- Carb is fine bowls are full of gas before start
- I've tighten the clamps on all the rubber hoses...they look good
- replaced fuel tank and sender unit years ago...again, looks good no leaks

:popcrn:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

TQ right?... cracked bowl.

Even with choke out of adjustment, should attempt to start up then die
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

I assume you are giving it 4 or 5 good pumps before you start cranking?

crj1968

looks like you have two chargers- can you swap carbs real quick and see if it goes away?

AKcharger

- It's and edelbrock performer...a carter copy
- Electric choke...never touched it
- I used to give it some pumps but it never did anything, now I just wait for it to prime...ya' know if there
s gas in the bowls it should start shouldn't it?
- CRJ I do, and the '70 has the exact same carb...lol you know I've NEVER thought of that! I just automatically suspected something down stream in the fuel line...See why I ask questions here!!

thx guys

c00nhunterjoe

After it has sat, remove the air cleaner and look down the carb while you pump the throttle to see if it is discharging fuel. If it is, several pumps and it should light off 1st try. If no fuel, the bowels have evaporated and your only options are to crank to fill, or install an electric pump. Fwiw, my carb can sit all week and not evaporate in the heat of summer. Kicks off 1st try, even before i changed fuel systems.

reworked

Check the length of your fuel pump pushrod.....sometimes they wear down allot