News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

backfiring in right exhaust

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 02, 2016, 11:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

OK, first I am  NOT  an engine person.. I  fired  up my "questionable" 12-1 comp. 440 yesterday and had to use two batteries and other than having to retard the timing to get it to start it lit and after warming up it idled at about 1000 rpm.  It is intermittently  backfiring down the right side exhaust like a rifle shot loud (headers with a muffler attached )  I did move the timing back and forth  to find the sweet spot. My thought is I have an exhaust valve not seating right for what ever the reason.  I am figuring to do a compression check to see what I have first, and depending on what it is,  pull the head off and go from there.
    Does this sound like a reasonable approach ?  Hind site being 20-20 I  probably shouldn't have bought the motor but since I did I will follow it through, I finish what I start.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

don duick

Highbanked Hauler

That was my first thought and I put in a new set. The backfiring picks up with the  speed of the motor.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

Next suspect is a bad valve.  Compression test or a leakdown test is in order.
Mopar forever!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bronzedodge on March 03, 2016, 10:24:29 AM

I am not familiar with a leak down test but I am going to do a comp check. This thing has Crane 1.6 roller rockers and adjustable push rods in it.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 03, 2016, 08:28:16 AM
That was my first thought and I put in a new set. The backfiring picks up with the  speed of the motor.

Was it verified that the plug is actually firing after replacement? Could be a bad spark plug wire.

303 Mopar

Start with the basics and double check your wires are not crossed.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Bob

Exactly what my problem was. Started out as a miss but was a bad valve.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bob on March 03, 2016, 06:39:39 PM
Next suspect is a bad valve.  Compression test or a leakdown test is in order.

Exactly what my problem was. Started out as a miss but was a bad valve.

This thing has adjustable push rods  in it and I am wondering if one could have moved so the valve wont close. First thing is a comp check.

I have the plug wires tagged with numbers.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

don duick

if it increases with engine speed could be the secondaries are too lean or a weak ignition

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: don duick on March 04, 2016, 01:37:23 AM
if it increases with engine speed could be the secondaries are too lean or a weak ignition

The carb is a 750 cfm Carter and the distributor is an ACCEL dual point.  Both of witch were off of the running motor in my 500 when I  upgraded it to a 650 carb and electronic ignition.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

firefighter3931

If the backfire is isolated to the right side the logical assumption is a leaky/burnt ex valve that isn't sealing (right bank) or it could be a valve sticking in the guides. A compression test will confirm this.

Assuming that the compression test is good then it's more than likely ignition related. Could be a bad cap that is cracked causing a misfire or ignition wires spark leaking ?

You'll have to dig in and do some diagnostic investigation  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs