News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have a Charger AWD for a daily driver?

Started by 66FBCharger, February 25, 2016, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I know we deal with the older Chargers, but I thought someone might have a newer Charger as a DD.
I have to replace my DD PT Loser, probably in the spring. I was thinking of getting a V6 Charger AWD.
I was looking for feedback from guys that might own one or work on them at the Dealer.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Troy

I looked at an AWD Magnum a while back and people I know who work on them said the 2WD with traction control is plenty good for the conditions around here (Cincinnati). The AWD cars have specific wheels and brakes (along with the drive train mods) which end up being more expensive. But no one told me they were bad - just that they weren't a whole lot better than the 2WD. I had only found one and I never even drove it so I guess a lot of people in this area feel about the same.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

66FBCharger

I live in Ct. where we get snow mixed with sleet and freezing rain in the winter. I was thinking the AWD would be better in the weather than RWD. Maybe that's not true. I have been driving Chrysler FWD cars  with dedicated snow tires since '86. Never had a problem. I don't want to get a replacement car and have a hairer ride in the winter.
Maybe RWD would be fine. I don't like that the AWD Chargers are limited to 19" wheels vs. the 20"s on a RWD.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Baldwinvette77

my dad has a rwd 2014 v6 charger, its still great in the snow, never got stuck, never spun out, and we never used snow tires  :lol:

66FBCharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 25, 2016, 01:20:43 PM
my dad has a rwd 2014 v6 charger, its still great in the snow, never got stuck, never spun out, and we never used snow tires  :lol:
That's good to hear. Maybe I don't need AWD.

Baldwinvette77

i also drove an 09 v6 challenger in the snow this year, all season tires on 18's, still never spun out, (even when i tried) made it home in a snow storm during a 200 km trip, 100 miles?  :shruggy:

They work great  :yesnod:

HeavyFuel

66FB....don't kid yourself.  Everyone knows RWD cars 'generally' suck in the winter.  Don't expect a RWD Charger to get around 'great'.

I live in ND...and when there's snow on the streets, about the only thing you see on the streets that's RWD is a pickup or SUV, and they have the 4WD option.  And the cops....they drive some Chargers.

Yeah, the occasional RWD vehicle ventures around, but it's ugly.  This is during snowy conditions, mind you.

I went to Little Rock a couple years ago and they got hit with a freak February snowstorm that dropped about 3 inches on them.  We went out for an evening meal, not snowing, and when we came out it had snowed and the city was in gridlock.  Human sacrifice.  Dogs and cats living together.  Mass hysteria.   :lol:  

It took us two hours to get back to our hotel which is normally 10 minutes away.  Lots of RWD cars with speed-rated tires and no winter driving skills.  It was a friggin' riot.    Drivers were actually love-tapping each other with their bumpers to help other cars get going.    :smilielol:   We were laughing our brains out.   :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol:

Pat1973charger

My parents have a 2014 v6 AWD 300S it is a tank in the snow, especially with snow tires on it. We got blasted last winter here in Nova Scotia and they never had an issue.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

If snow tires & sandbags in the trunk are not doing the job, then the snow is probably too bad/deep for the car no matter how many wheels are spinning.

AWD works but it's expensive & complicated.  If you aren't sure you need it then you probably don't.   

Lord Warlock

I wouldn't pay extra for it, had AWD in my twin turbo stealth throughout the 90s, and it does help on slick roads, but slick in florida roads is different than sheet ice in northern roads, I'd rather have the stealth in snow than a mustang with rear wheel drive (or challenger) But wouldn't consider a challenger unless it has a v8.  I did buy the wife a mazda Cx5 AWD Grand Touring car, if I know i'm gonna drive in snow, we'd take her car. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Charger-Bodie

I had a awd magnum r/t. It got around awesome and I had zero problems with it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

StoneCold

Here's a 300...but close enough I would imagine. Could have been all fine powder snow and it would be easier to get around in that obviously. But anyway,  FWIW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIg2x9unck

Bens340

My gf has a 14' rt awd charger with the factory hankook tires on it. We had it out in the snow once this winter. It goes alright like anyother awd car in the snow and im sure with a set of blizzaks it would be unstoppable, but instead of risking wrecking it or having it turn into a ball of rust in these new england winters with all the calcium chloride they lay down, we parked it in the garage next to my charger and i got her a cherokee for the snow. Other than that its mint. Love the car.
73' charger 340 rallye