News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine paint and exhaust manifolds

Started by richard parker, March 02, 2016, 11:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard parker

getting close to painting my engine what do you guys recommend i would like to do hemi orange is it simple as a couple cans and then some clear ? also i need to paint my exhaust manifolds can anyone recommend anything ? thanks also anyone have any experience with other colors or does anyone have any suggestions for another color if i dont go with orange ?

BSB67

Honestly, I'm a paint idiot.  But I have always had great success with spray paint out of a can, no clear.  Just good cleaning before painting and it looks great for years, at 2000 mi/year.  People talk about epoxy primers, and 2 part paint systems.  While I'm sure that it is better, I not too sure at what point it does not matter.  This motor was in service for 15 years.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

For the manifolds I have used jet coat a few times with great success too.  No rust after 15 years. I have used both black and gray.  Neither look original, and that coating is pretty expensive.  My guess is that there is probably a better value.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph