News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Straight duel exhaust cost HP?

Started by Alan73Charger, March 01, 2016, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

My 73 Charger has duel exhaust on it.  I plan on adding some headers.  On the current exhaust system the pipes run from the old cast iron manifold straight to the back.  The pipes aren't connected at all like you would see on an H pipe.  Are there enough benefits to a H pipe to replace these at the time I do the headers? 
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

mopar0166

for I could only get the sound I wanted from straight pipes and dumps,

the x pipe and h pipe were working for me, 

better flow we give you better hp  but it wont be a huge gain

c00nhunterjoe

Do the x pipe. Its worth a fair amount of power and coupled with long tube headers, it is well wprth it.

mopar0166

I saw little to no differenece , sounds a idle was too soft for me,

I have straight pipes with cutouts

they are open a lot maybe that why I don't notice a loss

303 Mopar

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 01, 2016, 12:43:39 PM
Do the x pipe. Its worth a fair amount of power and coupled with long tube headers, it is well wprth it.

It was my understanding the x-pipe mostly effects torque not hp, and quiets the exhaust.  At a minimum, I would have an H with a good set of mufflers with each having their own sound (look up dynomax, magnaflow, etc on youtube).  With straight through mufflers like Magnaflows you can pick up 10-15 hp and an x-pipe 10 lbs TQ, no huge numbers.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68X426

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/x-pipe-vs-h-pipe

The folks at TTI and Dynomax can also field this question for you.

Seems to me every tech article I've ever read clearly documents that h- and x- deliver results, and that straight hurts torque and hp.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Alan73Charger

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 01, 2016, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 01, 2016, 12:43:39 PM

It was my understanding the x-pipe mostly effects torque not hp, and quiets the exhaust.  At a minimum, I would have an H with a good set of mufflers with each having their own sound (look up dynomax, magnaflow, etc on youtube).  With straight through mufflers like Magnaflows you can pick up 10-15 hp and an x-pipe 10 lbs TQ, no huge numbers.

Thanks for all the info.  The exhaust sounds pretty good right now with straight pipes and cherry bomb mufflers, offset in/center out.  To me it looks like H pipes would be a better fit but I'll research this further for sure!

myk

Adding an H pipe balanced the exhaust but seemingly made it more quiet as a result.  It was disappointing but I knew the car was running better so I was OK with it...

c00nhunterjoe

Torque is measured. Horsepower is a mathematical derivative of it. With increases of torque comes hp. Regardless, torque is what you feel putting you into the seat.

garner7555

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but wouldn't this make more of a difference on a large displacement/high power application and less of a difference on a small displacement/lower power application.   
Example = Seems to me it would really matter on a 500+ cubic inch stroker and maybe it wouldn't matter so much on a stock small block.    :shruggy:    :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

myk

You're right, but you can also say that when you don't have a lot to work with you try to get as much as you can.  I have a low power application but I definitely noticed the difference when going to headers, x pipe and Magnaflo's with 2.5" piping. ..

garner7555

Quote from: myk on March 02, 2016, 04:30:50 AM
You're right, but you can also say that when you don't have a lot to work with you try to get as much as you can.  I have a low power application but I definitely noticed the difference when going to headers, x pipe and Magnaflo's with 2.5" piping. ..

Yes, Good point!    :2thumbs:   I'm not running a fancy stroker motor either MYK and your right to a certain degree, every little bit matters.   :yesnod:    I just didn't want the OP to think that if it added 25HP to a guys 572 hemi that he would see 25HP increase on a small block.   :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

c00nhunterjoe

25 hp on a stocker, no, but 5-8 is easily attained and since you are buying exhaust anyway, why not? Its easy power to get. X vs h depends on the application in my opinion. Mild cam, small tube headers and 2.25 exhaust then i would say x pipe based on how they scavenge and operate. Larger tube headers and big exhaust, then you can go either way. If you want more lowend torque, h pipe, more overall power mid thru  topend, x pipe. In my experiences the x pipe makes on average 3-5 hp more then the h in most "hot" street cars. The h will make a little more low end torque then the x.

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Alan73Charger

Quote from: garner7555 on March 02, 2016, 08:16:45 AM
Quote from: myk on March 02, 2016, 04:30:50 AM

Yes, Good point!    :2thumbs:   I'm not running a fancy stroker motor either MYK and your right to a certain degree, every little bit matters.   :yesnod:    I just didn't want the OP to think that if it added 25HP to a guys 572 hemi that he would see 25HP increase on a small block.   :Twocents:

No, not expecting 25HP for sure!  lol   Actually since I have the dual exhaust already I just wondered if an x pipe or h pipe would give me a few more HP.  Sounds like it would.  I would be happy with the 5-8.   

Alan73Charger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 02, 2016, 01:04:06 PM
25 hp on a stocker, no, but 5-8 is easily attained and since you are buying exhaust anyway, why not? Its easy power to get. X vs h depends on the application in my opinion. Mild cam, small tube headers and 2.25 exhaust then i would say x pipe based on how they scavenge and operate. Larger tube headers and big exhaust, then you can go either way. If you want more lowend torque, h pipe, more overall power mid thru  topend, x pipe. In my experiences the x pipe makes on average 3-5 hp more then the h in most "hot" street cars. The h will make a little more low end torque then the x.

Great information.  Thanks!  Right now I'm looking at a pretty mild cam.  Comp Cams XE 256H.  Without a gear upgrade I think my idle would suck with a more aggressive cam.  2.25 on the pipe is probably what I would go with.  Undecided on the muffler.  The ones on the car sound pretty good.  I see a 77441 stamped on them which I traced back to a cherry bomb muffler.  A pretty cheap one at that.  Sounds like your saying I would be happier with an X pipe set up.

J-440

I've got TTI long tubes, electric cutouts, 3" straight pipe dumped before the rear tires under the car...sounds awesome!!  Can't be too much of a loss I imagine.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede