News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

subframe connectors install question

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, May 08, 2015, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

hey guys ive ha d a set of mopar subframe connectors for years just sitting in the box. is there anything special to do before i weld them on? i have a 2 post lift now so i can get under there nice and easy.  i dont wanna weld them up and find out the door wont close after i open it or anything stupid like that.  any advise would be great.  thanks, Mike

WHITE AND RED 69

Don't weld them in on the lift. The weight needs to be on all wheels to have all the panels and everything in the proper positions.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Kern Dog

Yeah...GOOD thing you mentioned that your lift is a 2 post unit!
You can buy tall jackstands though. Harbor Freight has them for $70 each or therabouts. Raise the car on the lift then slip the stands under the axle. Place the other 2 under the outer edges of the lower control arms, then slowly lower the car to where the car lift arms have nearly no load on them. This will provide a stable working platform while getting the car off the ground enough to do the work. The suspension does need to be loaded if the car is assembled. In cases where a car is on a rotisserie, the installation is okay to do because the weight of the drivetrain isn't an issue.
Be sure to leave room for the fuel and brake lines.
If welding to the floor, remove the carpet!

c00nhunterjoe

Everything already mentioned, plus-
I welded additional plates to the torsion bar x member to further distribute the load, and i also welded additional braces out to the rocker panel. Overkill? Probably, but mine is a stick car that i thrash.

c00nhunterjoe

303 Mopar

I had a buddy install subframe connectors on my '68 Charger today and thought it was interesting how he did it.  We used 1 1/2" square steel tubing that was 1/8" thick.  He cut into the front and rear subframes, measured, and then ran the tubing into both, then welded them together.  It made a big difference in the stiffness of the chassis.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible