News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone tried this axle bearing setup from Summit??

Started by 72Charger-SE, February 14, 2016, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

I have been fighting the end play on the driver's side of the 8 3/4" rear that I bought several years ago.  I am beginning to think the bearing retainer is not set correctly as these axles were not in a car when I bought them.  Regardless, I am looking at buying new Moser Engineering axles and was considering this solution for the bearings.  Anyone have experience with these on the factory or Moser axles?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249444

Dmichels

These appear to use the same concept as the MOPAR "green" bearings. I will not go into the pros and cons of these as there has been much discussion about these you can come to your own conclusion. These are considered "light duty" and will not handle the same weight loads as the factory tapered bearings. In my opinion this is fine for a car but not for a truck. I have been running a set of this style for over 20 years with out issue in a big block 4 speed car. There is nothing wrong with the factory tapered bearing set up they just require more work to get set up. You should be able to take up the slack using the adjuster.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Charger-Bodie

Some say that these cant take a lot of of side pressure like from cornering hard. I personally have had several car with them and the only problem I've ever had was due to the axle being worn and undersized. It slid out of the bearing, but was caught before any damage.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

John_Kunkel

Here's what Doctor Diff says:

"Green Bearing Company makes 2 different styles of Mopar (8 3/4" and Dana) conversion wheel bearings.

1. Old style (RP-400). The bearing retainer is crimped to the outer race. The bearing retainer can break off, allowing the bearing to fall inside the housing end. This style is unforgiving when used in bent housings (most housings are not straight). These are still sold through Mopar Performance.

2. MO-400, ST-400 (Snap-ring style). The outer race has a groove and spiral-lock arrangement that butts up against the outside edge of the brake backing plate. The loose bearing retainer bolts on top of the spiral lock to secure the bearing. I prefer this "loose fit" design. It is simple and durable. New Wilwood kits require this style.

ST-400 Green bearings come with the narrow ring included in the kit. The only difference between the MO-400 and ST-400 Green bearings is the width of the lock ring."
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

72Charger-SE

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 15, 2016, 05:24:17 PM

Here's what Doctor Diff says:

"Green Bearing Company makes 2 different styles of Mopar (8 3/4" and Dana) conversion wheel bearings.

1. Old style (RP-400). The bearing retainer is crimped to the outer race. The bearing retainer can break off, allowing the bearing to fall inside the housing end. This style is unforgiving when used in bent housings (most housings are not straight). These are still sold through Mopar Performance.

2. MO-400, ST-400 (Snap-ring style). The outer race has a groove and spiral-lock arrangement that butts up against the outside edge of the brake backing plate. The loose bearing retainer bolts on top of the spiral lock to secure the bearing. I prefer this "loose fit" design. It is simple and durable. New Wilwood kits require this style.

Thanks for the detailed information John. 
ST-400 Green bearings come with the narrow ring included in the kit. The only difference between the MO-400 and ST-400 Green bearings is the width of the lock ring."

72Charger-SE

Dr. Diff order placed...
MO-400 Green Bearings and inner seals.   Thanks for everyone's input.

70Sbird

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on February 15, 2016, 11:01:03 PM
Dr. Diff order placed...
MO-400 Green Bearings and inner seals.   Thanks for everyone's input.

I put a set of these (Snap ring style) in my Dana over 10 years ago and haven't ever looked back!

Scott Faulkner

Mike DC

Please do the car's next owner favor and don't throw away the original bearing setup hardware.  Some people still prefer the original setup.

c00nhunterjoe

I had the m0400s in my 8 3/4 with no issues during lots of "spirited" back roads driving and the same setup in my dana with no issues.

72Charger-SE

I ended up ordering the bearings from Dr. Diff.  The new bearings are pressed on, installed and axles properly spaced & mounted in 8 3/4" rear end.  SO GLAD to have that behind me.  I did have to shave 3/16" off the caliper spacers to provide proper clearance without rubbing the inside edge.  All done & ready to move onto the next area of the car...